[ 32 ]
13% 13% 
[ 8 ]
12% 12% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 60

Do you kill with your Guns?

Post by Agent of Change on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:06 am

This is kind of an informal poll. I'm curious how much people use / rely on their tracking missiles versus their guns.

I have recently found my missiles are often used in maybe 1 of 4 to 5 of each of my kills. Either my target dies to my guns before my missile reaches the target or I just don't get a chance to launch. Anyway feel free to comment or hit up the poll of both.
Agent of Change

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you kill with your Guns?

Post by Ferc Polo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 am

Damn right I use my missiles! These twin sisters of doom strapped to my ride aren't just there for show! They're there to make sure that when a person least expects it I can dumb-fire the pair right through their cockpit.
Ferc Polo

Back to top Go down

Post by Abstractness on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:05 am

I use both as much as possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugYeSx1Z4w&feature=plcp
Abstractness

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:27 am

Not sure how to vote - needs an option saying "My missiles soften them up, but guns deliver the coup de grace"
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzycat on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:30 am

Trackin' missiles? Don't use 'em AT ALL, since I'm mainly rocking the F-3 and G5 at this point in time. So all my kills are made by gun-fire and lucky/sure dumb-fire rocket strikes.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post by SuPerKen on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:48 am

Generally speaking while I'm in the Viper I Fire my tracking missile first... hit the AB shoot the crap out of them and peel off to my next target while my missile finishes the job.

In the Swordfish, I use them as constantly as I'm using the guns.

In the Barracuda... That thing has guns? Who knew?

SuPerKen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiel on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:07 am

If a tracking missile can't kill them it can at least eat up their AB fuel as you pursue them. It doesn't often end up killing them, but it spooks them and lets you tire them out a bit as you move in for the kill.
Jiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:54 am

I find my missile is often wasted as my guns burn them down before the missile hits.

I often use it to attack two targets at once, allowing me to go in separate directions.

I sometimes use it as Jiel suggests, to force a target to use up afterburner or break off from chasing a teammate.

I always use missiles when attacking turrets.
Loki
Admin

http://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Snubby on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:03 am

Loki wrote:I find my missile is often wasted as my guns burn them down before the missile hits.

Agreed. but i fire them incessantly anyway Smile king
Snubby

Back to top Go down

Post by Complex lain on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 am

If I can yes, I make a kill with guns as practice makes perfect (and boy do I need some LoL).
In a target rich environment, I make a few hits on a first pass, turn and pop a missile after the target for the kill while I am moving onto the next target.
Bombers - if in a group of fighters I will help chew it down to the last bit of health using guns/missiles, then leave it for someone else to finish.
Complex lain

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Man on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I rarely use the tracking missiles in a dogfight because of the lock on time. I'll use them when going head to head to force a juke by the other guy. The double dumb fire missiles on the Krait are another story. If you manage a hit with those on another light fighter and theyre toast. Hit anything other than a bomber square with those and both beams and same result.

Grey Man

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzycat on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:37 am

Loki wrote:I often use it to attack two targets at once, allowing me to go in separate directions.
I sometimes use it as Jiel suggests, to force a target to use up afterburner or break off from chasing a teammate.
If I *had* tracking missiles, the first and second are tactics I'd definitely be doing, kinda like CC/DoTs on one target while you direct-dmg another target - multi-tasking your presence on the battlefield; and the last one should be a no-brainer Very Happy
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post by hunter5991 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Well my 2 ships are a hammerhead and a sidewinder, and the hammerhead has a habit of tearing through light fighter formations in a glorious charge (guns blazing, letting loose a rebel yell) and I fire my missile and a burst at first victim, transition to second, fire the whole 9 yards, rinse and repeat, after im through the charge I turn around and deal with stragglers. In my sidewinder I use the missile like a shotgun, point blank at anything too close.

hunter5991

Back to top Go down

Post by Complex lain on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:33 pm

jazzycat wrote:
Loki wrote:I often use it to attack two targets at once, allowing me to go in separate directions.
If I *had* tracking missiles, the first and second are tactics I'd definitely be doing, kinda like CC/DoTs on one target while you direct-dmg another target - multi-tasking your presence on the battlefield; and the last one should be a no-brainer Very Happy

You do now Laughing
Complex lain

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzycat on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:53 am

Yeah, I've noticed how my kill-quota's gone up if I rock the FH-200, lol. And after taking the V-66 for a spin I can see how it's just easy-mode; lots of fun and a real sweet plane to fly but I can see myself getting bored with it as well due to the no-challenge factor (about the only challenge factor I felt when I was flying it was well... flying it - zippy/boosty as heck, so that'd take some getting used to).

But I think spending so much time on just the F-3 and G5 with their dumb-fire rockets and different styles of MG and FC fire was a good thing; I still think my accuracy is shit, but after learning how to fire with those ships and then stepping into one of the higher tier craft? With more guns and higher fire-power? Those first few moments in a S&D on my Pirahna's maiden-flight was like swatting fat, drunken flies out of the air.

I think I'll always prefer taking a target out with guns though; somehow it's more... personal that way. Lock-on missiles are more efficient though.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post by Twilight Sparkleā„¢ on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:53 am

I use dem missiles when I know that I can hit 'em with dem missiles.
Twilight Sparkleā„¢

Back to top Go down

Post by Varia on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:25 am

I think I'm liking my FH-200's missiles as a supplement to the guns, rather than vice versa. Opening with a missile on approach and cutting throttle enough to drift shoot around the passing ship... and then boom, the missile hits. Wonderful feeling... when it works anyway.

As for my Mamba's rockets... I can barely hit the turrets most of the time, let alone something that actually moves. ("Stay still so I can rocket you!! Pleeease!!" Sad )
Varia

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:44 am

Whimsical Hue wrote:As for my Mamba's rockets... I can barely hit the turrets most of the time, let alone something that actually moves. ("Stay still so I can rocket you!! Pleeease!!" Sad )

"Take two of these and call me in the morning, and by 'these', I mean BULLETS IN YOUR FACE! Ring, ring - hello? Is that you? Yup, you're dead."

- Sarge, Red vs Blue

Sarge has some good advice here; use your rockets like a shotgun against fighters. They're pretty useless from far away, but if you wait until you can see into the enemy canopy before firing, you'll find your rockets become pretty useful.

As for shooting turrets with rockets, try zooming in to aim (default is "F" key). Just don't fly straight for too long when aiming at turrets.
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:46 am

Also near-enough is good enough with rockets in a furball. Shoot close as Loki said, then remote-detonate soon afterwards. You'd be amazed at the damage that can do.
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by El Queso on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:45 pm

I find that my rockets are only really useful against bombers. It seems that many pilots have learned to avoid them. I do love the remote detonate feature though. It really helps in a sticky situation.
El Queso

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:46 am

Theres no option in your poll for ramming.

In my A80, I barely touch my MGs... missile, missile, collision, dumb fired missile... MG's are just the bit of pepper for seasoning.
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by GratuitousLurking on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 am

On my Mamba, I toss a missile when I can, but dumbfire rockets are notoriously off-aim when ya want to hit something in front of you, so often I don't give them a shot until I'm sure someone's in front of me and won't spin away. So for the most part, no, I don't use missiles (probably would in a different ship with better missiles but oh well)

GratuitousLurking

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:54 am

I see people say on this forum over and over again how dumb fire's are useless unless they're close enough to ram... and this might seem to be the case at first blush, but ace pilots spreading this misinformation isn't doing anyone any favors.

I don't see enough talk about the fact that rockets (dumb fires) remote detonate with an explosion slightly larger than a ship.

If you're not too close, you can lead an opponent, miss them narrowly, and kill them with the remote detonation.

Learning this about the G5 when I first got on the board made up my mind to get one, and has dramatically changed my game in both the G5 and the occasional mamba run.

Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:16 am

Yup, I use my M10 and G5 rockets a LOT. I might actually be bothered to fly a heavy if one of them had rockets. It's a shame they're all missile boats. Once you practice with them a while, you can lead people quite a bit with rockets, even when they aren't flying straight.

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:19 am

Kackling Kobold wrote:I see people say on this forum over and over again how dumb fire's are useless unless they're close enough to ram... and this might seem to be the case at first blush, but ace pilots spreading this misinformation isn't doing anyone any favors.

I don't see enough talk about the fact that rockets (dumb fires) remote detonate with an explosion slightly larger than a ship.

If you're not too close, you can lead an opponent, miss them narrowly, and kill them with the remote detonation.

Just for some clarification here; this thread was started back before rockets were made faster and had remote detonation, so some of the earlier posts might be inaccurate. Rockets used to be considerably slower and their max range against a moving target was around 75m. Now you can hit something moving out to 300m consistently and remote detonation can even be used as defense against incoming missiles.
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top