[ 32 ]
13% 13% 
[ 8 ]
12% 12% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 60

Re: Do you kill with your Guns?

Post by ~{MFN}~ LCDR McMuffin on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:46 am

I'll honestly say that when I first started playing, I truly envied the players with tracking missiles, because my lil' mamba just couldn't hack it. Now, I kinda chuckle when I see the Missile Lock warming atop my screen. It's exponentially harder to dodge a dumbfire rocket, especially when they can remote detonate. It's like trying to avoid a grenade by side-stepping. Even if it doesn't bounce off your chest, the boom will still frag ya. Ace pilots are honestly more dangerous with dumbfire than tracking, computers can be fooled, good ol' fashioned human intuition and gut-feelings can't.
~{MFN}~ LCDR McMuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Xron on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I can't use Tracking Missiles, I took the "Chivalrous Aptitude" perk on character creation. Means that when some on complains about all of my other underhand tactics I can just say "At least I don't use missiles".

Also means I'm allowed to smoke a pipe in the cockpit.
Xron

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:38 pm

I think if you are zapping people from over 1500m away, you are precluded from checking any boxes with the words chivalrous next to them. No, true chivalry comes from maneuvering behind your opponent and filling his cockpit with large caliber, high explosive shells!
Actually I'm just jealous, if I could aim my Cobra's Zapper better, I would upgrade to a NightHawk.
MJ

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 pm

tracking missiles... potshots for the blind.

all (well, most of) the ships with tracking missiles have become overkill in skilled hands, and it has little to do with the fact that they have tracking missiles. A80, FH-90 aside, you are either fast or are dishing out some serious damage to your target to begin with, the missile being more of a 'youre almost dead and i need to fly elsewhere' button.

as far as chivalry goes, beams are definitely the next most chivalrous weapon after missiles... i think FMA stated it best, noting that infantry may be lucky to hit anything at a distance so there is no remorse in pulling the trigger; a sniper, when they choose to let off a round, know with almost certainty that it will hit and end a life. i'd say it is chivalrous when a beam ship chooses to even defer chasing a target, having power and choosing not to use it is a form of chivalry, after all...
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:31 am

the-anger wrote: having power and choosing not to use it is a form of chivalry, after all...

My kill counts even in S&D have suffered severely since I've started letting mamba's slide more. I've been making a conscious effort at saving my missiles only for names I recognize, or mamba pilots that frag me (at least once). I've been leaning more torwards MG's a bit against newish pilots that take me on (just before I ram them; that I deem a valuable lesson). On the other hand, this means that my missiles are ready when the ace that was behind that noob comes into view.

Occasionally I berserk and fire all weapons at anything that moves if I'm surrounded & can't figure out which twit attacking me is the ace I'm after... unfortunately this usually happens near or in front of the enemy carrier. (in which case there is invariably more than one orange name flitting across my screen)
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by danielwhateley on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:41 am

i prefer guns over missiles, tracking missiles are just annoying, they're like flame throwers in alien swarm, no effort needed to kill, very low skill requirement, though flying a kingfisher, and using that slow cannon to kill 10-20 fighters per match as i do most times is quite challenging, im thinking of whether or not i wanna skip the wait and buy the cheapest medium fighter or go for the cheapest heavy

danielwhateley

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:23 am

danielwhateley wrote:im thinking of whether or not i wanna skip the wait and buy the cheapest medium fighter or go for the cheapest heavy

I've been having a lot of fun with the Hammerhead and Stingray lately. The Nighthawk is pretty different from everything else; I'd recommend a Krait or Cobra to introduce yourself to beam weapon ships.

A cred booster is best value for your money, particularly the timed boosts. I'd recommend a booster over direct purchase; I bought a Cobra outright when I could've had twice the cost of it in creds if I'd used the He3 for boosters (this was back when a Cobra cost 1.2 million).
Loki
Admin

http://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:57 am

My style is to go head-2-head if I'm against a light or medium fighter.
I start by wearing their health down, then right as we're about to pass, I pop off my missile.
For heavies, I always get into glorified turning duels and spam my machine guns.
Against bombers, I try to get within 100 meters of their tailpipes (There have been times that I've been close enough to see details in the graphics...). I use my guns the majority of the time. Once they are down to about one-third health, I use my missile. If they still have health remaining, I finish them off with my guns.
Rare is the time that I've needed to use more than one missile against anybody...

Last edited by Nightwing on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nightwing

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2743055/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kisuke on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I mostly use dumb-fire rockets and fast cannon to bring someone down... and that's because i bought G5 and can't afford anything else. ^.^' But I know fairly well how annoying missiles are. When somebody forces you to use up all of AB, by repeatedly shooting them at you. Vaild tactic but somehow it pisses me off >.> (Maybe because i use too much AB for maneuvers...) But hey, I can't say that i wouldn't (and won't) do same thing when I put my hands on TRMs. Most likely I'll do the same - but only to Vets. Such Loki form Praetorians (seen him only twice...I think.) or some pilots from Reapers that i had seen on EU West. (Adma, Med, Belshirash and few others...)

But until I get ship equipped with missiles, I'll proudly keep saying that i only use cannon and rockets to kill. ^.^

Kisuke

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhaky on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Flying a Piranah you gotta love the machineguns. I usually use the missile for damage, but having to fly straight towards the target and be rather close to them, it tends to make me the easy prey and not them.

Zhaky

Back to top Go down

Post by Lentiss on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm

I was a heavy A-80 pilot for quite some time, still love the beast. Most of my kills with that thing was by missiles and ramming head on.
Now that I've been using the mambas and sidewinders a lot more I understand a bit more of the finer points of flying and positioning...just have to start remembering not to ram people in the F-3x.
Lentiss

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:37 pm

I've had a fully-upgraded Nighthawk for the past month or so, and I love it.
The 'Hawk is now my go-to ship, regardless of match type...
Nightwing

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2743055/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top