Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

William Johnson (Engineer): 4 Big Things of Current Concern

4 posters

Go down

William Johnson (Engineer): 4 Big Things of Current Concern Empty William Johnson (Engineer): 4 Big Things of Current Concern

Post by jazzycat Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:20 pm

WJ wrote:There are four big things I am currently concerned with.

1) Maps. We have the assets and a designer ready to go for this stuff. I have been working to get the engine ready to support all the new stuff they need to do. Our game designer and artist can do nearly as much without the engine support in place, so I have been working on this so they can have something to use while I work on the next thing.. Oh, this will make it possible to add tutorial maps and training missions that would really help the new player experience.

2) Matchmaking. This includes: separating vets and new players, allowing players to join with 1 or 2 friends, and clan matches. These are features have been frequently requested, and frequently cited as the reason ppl don't want to play (or have stopped playing) our game. Getting this in place will help out a lot.

3) Stability. Our game engine was created from scratch (before I joined on) and was never really put through the stresses provided from the steam players. The bugs are the worst possible kind, nearly impossible to create in a test environment and caused by a earlier problem that bounced around the replication system before causing the crash. Our engine guy ported the server to linux to run diagnostics (without luck though we are a lot closer to a mac port) and now we are working on recording games so we can pinpoint the bug.

4) Customization. Our artist was working on creating ship parts for months. We will implement a system where players can fine-tune ships as much as they want. These ships will look much better (the original ships were not created by our current artist) and it will be much easier to tune individual parts rather than whole ships (Right now we are reluctant to make major changes to the ships since we don't want to take advantage of people who have purchased them.) This feature is one of the main reasons that the game was designed, and would dramatically increase our games popularity. However, there is a lot of work required to make it happen, so I need to get 2 and 3 done first.

I had hoped that the free ship rotation would reduce the need to overhaul the Mamba. Anyway, I just thought I would get you up to speed on *the plan*.

--wj
Read Bif's well-written and thought out feedback (which prompted WJ's response quote above) and the related comments over on the moonbreakers.userecho.com forums.
jazzycat
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

William Johnson (Engineer): 4 Big Things of Current Concern Empty Re: William Johnson (Engineer): 4 Big Things of Current Concern

Post by Nyxy Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:15 am

I wonder what they are working on these days. There hasn't been a post in a couple of weeks. I'm sure they are just busy and working hard.
Nyxy
Nyxy

http://www.wix.com/nicholasderosa/homepage

Back to top Go down

William Johnson (Engineer): 4 Big Things of Current Concern Empty Re: William Johnson (Engineer): 4 Big Things of Current Concern

Post by longshot Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 am

No, they've taken our He-3 payments, bought a holiday to Mauritius where they're sipping cocktails on the beach under the shade of palm trees.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzycat Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:44 am

Well-earned, I'd say, have you seen the amount of forums reading they'd have to somehow stay on top of in addition to the development, and bugs, and pm's, aaaaand they can totally read this post too y'know! Very Happy
jazzycat
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyxy Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:38 pm

jazzycat wrote:Well-earned, I'd say, have you seen the amount of forums reading they'd have to somehow stay on top of in addition to the development, and bugs, and pm's, aaaaand they can totally read this post too y'know! Very Happy

That's what I'm worried about. Maybe they died of exposure during a 72-hour programming session.
Nyxy
Nyxy

http://www.wix.com/nicholasderosa/homepage

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzycat Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Oh my, I hope not! Hopefully they'll re-spawn soon... pale
jazzycat
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Man Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:12 pm

10 seconds or less!

Grey Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down