Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CTF - Escape strategy

+4
the-anger
Loki
neioxet
Wolfski
8 posters

Go down

CTF - Escape strategy Empty CTF - Escape strategy

Post by Wolfski Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:22 pm

OK... after becoming quite adept at flag tagging and return I feel that a change of strategy is in order....
My usual method straight down the middle tag the flag then drop down between the real carrier bulhead and ride the belly...

Works for a few games but then the others get wise to my antics... often greeted on exit by a number of gun toting fighters like a wall of firepower in my way......

so I think lets mix up the route a little.... through the carrier deck and out the side exit (whooping chase me you noooobs!!!) .... all good if you have some boost conserved otherwise the beam cannons will get you. (by the way - they have a well naff sound effect...! reminds of the Commodore 64 running one of those very cheap 1.99 Codemasters games!)

alternative number 2 drop down the back under the rear belly then back up the other gap then straight out over the top.... if you do this unboosted and don't get tagged in the process you have practically a full boost bar to escape with....

and i've found this great little bit on the belly of the carrier that seems to have an invisible wall..... (You need to get in the Death Star trench mindset to find it....) if you get it just right with fighters on your tail you scrape by and they all go bump and stall... (although every time I glance backwards to see the event i got shot from the front... ) so just trust that this might shake one or two pursuers!.....

I may try to vid some of these exit strategies but i'm struggling to get any vidcaps from this game... fraps is throwing a mong.... and my msi afterburner overlay makes it lag something chronic... any tips ???

my 'vehicule' of preference for CTF - Swordfish... I have tried the Merlin and the Viper but they just don't quite hold enuff boost for the return journey (or I haven't quite perfected my tap on those models yet!).... and I will only use the bomber when I am bored as if flown well it's almost unstoppable on CTF.... takes the fun out of the chase a bit....

respectz to the max
Wolfski
Wolfski
Wolfski

Back to top Go down

CTF - Escape strategy Empty Re: CTF - Escape strategy

Post by neioxet Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 pm

well personally i and many others find that the best cap ship is the f-3x sidewinder and for good reason it has ridiculous boost and speed it is without a doubt the fastest ship in the game right now because its after burners recharge faster than anything but the piranha and its max speeds matches up exactly with the viper.

what does this mean? well simply put if you are good at feathering the afterburners you can pretty much go forever on a single tank of fuel and still move faster and turn tighter than any other ship out there so if you hear peeps going on about how broken CTF is this is the ship that broke it.

however there is a counter measure for the f-3x and it is known as beam cannons AKA LAZOARS!! YEAH anywho if you have a number of skilled lazoar boat pilots on both teams you can stretch a match to its limits so any people who like defense should definitely start practicing there aim (it takes a while to get good) and watch this vid and this one cuz with even four competent beam pilots on each team the game changes drastically so flag cappers better start perfecting high cover flag cap routes cuz if people take my advice you will definately need a couple.

why? cuz beams can reach just under 2 kilometers in game and it takes just 3 to take out almost any heavy while 1 to 2 will take out pretty much any light or medium (going by krait standards) if you throw a night hawk into the mix a krait will finish off pretty much any ship that didn't die from the first shot (from a night hawk) with just one more shot.

so lets see some more beams out there in CTF and more imaginative capture and escape routes you will be amazed how much it changes things
neioxet
neioxet

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 pm

I prefer the Cobra or Krait for flag capping and I'll pop their flag carrier on my way back with the enemy flag...

If there's someone in a V66 or F3X on the opposing team, I'll switch to F3X to keep up; seconds are precious in CTF, and a pair or triplet of flag runners in either of these ships can finish a CTF match in 2 min or less for an easy 2000 creds.
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 am

speaking from experience, many a would-be flag running F3X has gone pop to my terrawatt sunshine rays... also will mention that it is never over for the escaping ship with beams until you clear the 2km range - it has happened to me (on both ends) where the flag is almost home and at the stretch of 1700-1800m pop it goes with no one nearby to pick up the slack...
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by neioxet Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 am

that's exactly the point i was trying to get across anger Very Happy the extreme range that beams have make them invaluable for taking out a flag runner both on their approach and on their retreat. it doesn't matter how many sidewinders get thrown at you if you have enough skilled beam pilots the sidewinders are gonna pop sooner rather than later and in many cases won't even get within sight range of the flag
neioxet
neioxet

Back to top Go down

Post by Megumeru Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:42 am

Personally I fly through the asteroid field and use them as shields after looping through the carrier.

Megumeru

Back to top Go down

Post by Facundo Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:08 am

I fly looking my back to avoid the enemy cannos Very Happy
Facundo
Facundo

http://www.caidosdelarealidad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xenotrickster Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:21 am

Facundo wrote:I fly looking my back to avoid the enemy cannos Very Happy

You must have been that bloodstain I saw on that asteroid. Wink
xenotrickster
xenotrickster

Back to top Go down

Post by Facundo Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:58 am

xenotrickster wrote:
Facundo wrote:I fly looking my back to avoid the enemy cannos Very Happy

You must have been that bloodstain I saw on that asteroid. Wink

I do the 2 thinks at the same time Very Happy
Facundo
Facundo

http://www.caidosdelarealidad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quantum Razor Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 pm

A patient approach vector can assure an effective escape. If you approach from the hemisphere you plan to escape into you have to turn thus wasting boost and velocity. But what if you approached from the hemisphere away from your own carrier with full boost tanks?

Of course, you still have to outrun missiles, beams, canon fire and un-encumbered Sidewinders but you have to do that anyway.

Quantum Razor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum