Respect the A80

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Respect the A80

Post by Wolfski on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 am

Been in many rounds against groups of these badass heavies in the last couple of days.....
Intially I underestimated just how thick skinned they are (especially in groups).... usually a direct barrage from my trusty 250 will take out any fighter... but not the A80.... you really need to take a couple of passes at one to be sure of the kill... which can distract you from those around you....

I am still evolving my gameplay style and learning new things every day....

My point from this if you see an A80 watch out, they dont just roll over and go boom like a lot of the fighters do.......

respect
Wolf
Wolfski

Back to top Go down

Re: Respect the A80

Post by Ruffjustis on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:35 am

That's why I fly one mate pirat ...I'll have to get out of the habit of rolling the window down when the aircon packs up though confused
Ruffjustis

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:02 pm

thats why i hate the A80 they are annoying they shoot at you from long range and it takes 3 to 4 burst from a machinegun to blow up also along with the nighthawk they are killing machines so in a S&D round you need to priorize those ships and killing an A80 takes a lot of time and effort considering they take a lot of hits and shoot you from behind the enemy lines.

ofcourse i hate them in a good sense they are a nice challenge that add some spice to the game

1 advice never run from an A80 unless you are in a sidewinder or a viper and maybe the G5 and the FH250 have some chance of escaping but considering the low speed of the ship and the tracking missiles running away is like trying to escape from a sniper with guided bullets best thing is to get close and punish them with everything you have

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by MFD Suraj ITA on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:29 pm

all like other fighters around , if they are not protected by other isn't hard to get around them and hit hard , also in one pass but not enough one burst of mg ...missiles and rockets are not a choice and when close saty there till the kill

MFD Suraj ITA

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:52 pm

If you don't wanna die to my M10, fly an A80. By the time I whittle you down, one or three of your buddies will probably find me.

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:56 pm

I find the Cobra, Krait, Sidewinder, or Hammerhead are excellent ships to take down an A80.
Loki
Admin

http://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:09 pm

G5 is a good A80 hunter too, but the hammerhead is what you use when you want to send a message

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 am

Viking Jack wrote:the hammerhead is what you use when you want to send a message

lol never thought of the Hammerhead that way, but I like it Smile
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:47 pm

its hard to aim and slow but when you are flying and suddenly heard those fast cannons firing really fast at you, you better run or die

the hammerheads does an insane amount of damage in that initial burst its like somebody made a giant shotgun and put a cockpit and an afterburner in it

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferc Polo on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Viking Jack wrote:
1 advice never run from an A80

This is the best advice I could ever give you as an A-80 user. Do not run. Once you start that tea party you can't leave.

Skilled evaders in certain ships being the exception.

My most hated foe as an A-80 is always ALWAYS the goddamn G5 or FH-100. The only two ships that can punish an A-80 H2H. The 90 is still too crap to actually scare me, though I would advise being careful if they are out there. That cannon DOES hurt.

Pro-tip: An A-80 and a G5 together can take down almost any number of ships. Get a wing-man.

And you little friends out there, if you see an A-80 on its own PLEASE hang out and support. Chances are that A-80 will attract a lot of bats and he will buy your drinks later for saving his ass. Also: Free kills!

Ferc Polo

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Viking Jack wrote:its hard to aim and slow but when you are flying and suddenly heard those fast cannons firing really fast at you, you better run or die

the hammerheads does an insane amount of damage in that initial burst its like somebody made a giant shotgun and put a cockpit and an afterburner in it

I think I'll make the Hammerhead first on the list for recommended ships after a Mamba. It actually flies pretty similarly and that double fast cannon + LR Missile packs a wicked punch. Plus the booming cannon scares the crap out of its victims Twisted Evil
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferc Polo on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Loki wrote:
Viking Jack wrote:its hard to aim and slow but when you are flying and suddenly heard those fast cannons firing really fast at you, you better run or die

I think I'll make the Hammerhead first on the list for recommended ships after a Mamba. It actually flies pretty similarly and that double fast cannon + LR Missile packs a wicked punch. Plus the booming cannon scares the crap out of its victims Twisted Evil

Dear god I can finally tell the difference between Edit and Quote! Woohoo! LOL
Ferc Polo

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Ferc Polo wrote:My most hated foe as an A-80 is always ALWAYS the goddamn G5 or FH-100. The only two ships that can punish an A-80 H2H. The 90 is still too crap to actually scare me, though I would advise being careful if they are out there. That cannon DOES hurt.

And you little friends out there, if you see an A-80 on its own PLEASE hang out and support. Chances are that A-80 will attract a lot of bats and he will buy your drinks later for saving his ass. Also: Free kills!

the other thing to watch out for is nighthawks... a half-decent nighthawk pilot can reliably take on A80's and come out on top. there are several ways to pull it off but the punchline is 2 dual beam hits leave an A80 very vulnerable, and on the numbers a nighthawk can outmaneuver an A80 every time up close. up close its gg if the nighthawk can get inside rocket spam range, and game-set-match if the a80 leaves itself in a position for an easy followup beaming (this is inevitable except around cover / friendlies).

in the open, a nighthawk can win if it keeps at range (1700m+) or if the pilot has some sense to take out the missiles either by h2h out of machinegun range (beams and rockets in the same direction make short work of any missiles incoming, and the beams converge conveniently to take out at least one missile) or by a well timed rocket. having said that, i don't expect to see nighthawks succeeding vs a80's very often - but a well-flown one is something A80's should watch out for.
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by MFD Suraj ITA on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:08 pm

so f3x are a danger , same for v66 , x99, g5 , fm 25 , fh 90 , fh 100 , fh 200/250 , ... well that not remain many others exept for torp triggering with an b10 x maybe.

MFD Suraj ITA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferc Polo on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:22 pm

the-anger wrote:
the other thing to watch out for is nighthawks... a half-decent nighthawk pilot can reliably take on A80's and come out on top. there are several ways to pull it off but the punchline is 2 dual beam hits leave an A80 very vulnerable, and on the numbers a nighthawk can outmaneuver an A80 every time up close. up close its gg if the nighthawk can get inside rocket spam range, and game-set-match if the a80 leaves itself in a position for an easy followup beaming (this is inevitable except around cover / friendlies).

in the open, a nighthawk can win if it keeps at range (1700m+) or if the pilot has some sense to take out the missiles either by h2h out of machinegun range (beams and rockets in the same direction make short work of any missiles incoming, and the beams converge conveniently to take out at least one missile) or by a well timed rocket. having said that, i don't expect to see nighthawks succeeding vs a80's very often - but a well-flown one is something A80's should watch out for.

I've never had trouble with nighthawks. Most people don't fly them so it hasn't been an issue. I can definitely see it being easy to hit an A-80 as well as being able to kite it. hunting A-80s with my nighthawk, as I DO use it...I've never felt like I had any great advantage...they still take too damn long to kill. As a nighthawk that can get you gunned down by wingmen.
Ferc Polo

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Loki wrote:

i think the G5 should be the first ship after the mamba its cheap and it has a little from every other ship and playstyle, and being the first ship that has a fast cannon people can learn the way the gun works while having a fast ship with some good shields, the hammerhead would be more for the fast cannon profesional you get double firepower and firing rate in exchange for speed and turn rate so you better know how to use the fast cannon before buying that ship, also i think i have 2 nicknames for the hammerhead and the G5 the first could be the galactic shotgun or something similar and the later could be the universalist ship lol

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:37 am

Yep, it's all about the time-to-kill. And if you miss with a beam, you're in big trouble. That's why I hate to go against the A-80 in a krait. You need a good number of very precise hits, while rocketing one missile at best, and less shielding than most.

I'd much rather take a ship that can take a couple missiles and still remain pressurized. There are just way too many times the A-80 pilot is (rightfully so) taking free shots at me while I'm doing something important between rocks. I don't use heavies, so my choice of anti-A-80 is probably a G5.

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:58 am

Ferc Polo wrote:I've never had trouble with nighthawks. Most people don't fly them so it hasn't been an issue. I can definitely see it being easy to hit an A-80 as well as being able to kite it. hunting A-80s with my nighthawk, as I DO use it...I've never felt like I had any great advantage...they still take too damn long to kill. As a nighthawk that can get you gunned down by wingmen.

the nighthawk isn't very advantaged so much as it is coincidentally equipped to take on A80's in the right hands. personally i find hunting A80's in a nighthawk rather entertaining, as it gets a bit old being able to pop every other heavy with a dual-beam + rocket combo... it's challenging of course, but also very fun because no one seems to expect nighthawks to attack A80's Very Happy (well, at least until they have caught out like that a few times). and yes, the time and dedication it takes to chase down and take out an A80 (slowest and toughest fighter) with a nighthawk (3rd slowest fighter) is lengthy to say the least, but if i find an isolated A80 while in one it more or less becomes my main target hands down (tactically this is advisable regardless of what ship you're in, just you wouldn't assault an A80 with anything slow-moving itself ordinarily).

re krait vs A80 - i avoid it unless in favorable position (ie, sneaking up on one) to get a rocket salvo in there at some point. if talking about precision, then the nighthawk is the better option just on the fact that with a krait you will need twice as many shots with the same aiming difficulty. firing and missing in a krait is not a problem for doing damage, true, but it is a problem in that it makes you a target if too many on the other team follow one of the beams back home. the same reasoning applies if you want to snipe something with a krait - the high number of beam hits needed vs heavies that risks the krait becoming an obvious target (when sniping at that range you aren't very quick to react to being flanked). the nighthawk somewhat bypasses this rule up to the A80 (every other fighter is substantially weakened with one precisely aimed salvo if not outright destroyed), and even a second salvo can be fired off before your target becomes aware of your position.

otherwise yeah, G5 is the ship of choice outside of heavies for sticking it to heavy ships.

Last edited by the-anger on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quote tags)
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:39 am

Don't you A-80 bullies ever feel bad going against so many Mambas? Never mind, I know the answer to that, haha.

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferc Polo on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:39 am

DrunkenMonkey wrote:Don't you A-80 bullies ever feel bad going against so many Mambas? Never mind, I know the answer to that, haha.

I love every single light fighter I see!

It means a single missile lock and on to a new target. Smile
Ferc Polo

Back to top Go down

Post by MFD Suraj ITA on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:37 pm

most of the ships need anyway turn around and using cover , befor the final approach to the a 80 , few can try from far , and those are fh90 and fm25

MFD Suraj ITA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferc Polo on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:46 pm

The X99 Merlin makes pretty quick work of an A-80 for how easy it is to out-maneuver them.
Ferc Polo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 pm

As an A80 pilot I'd rather deal with a Merlin than a Krait...

but maybe thats because Akuma is one of the only pilots crazy enough to hunt A-80s with a Kriat, & he scares me.
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by ◄Reapers► Subedei on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 am

I love my A -80 to bits. I use it for too reasons, it's tough and I am rubbish with ballistic weapons so the twin missiles suit me down to the ground. I just wish it was a little quicker!
◄Reapers► Subedei

http://www.bunchofkents.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top