Doppelgangers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Doppelgangers

Post by Nostromo on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:38 am

Now I have seen that some of the better known Aces have "copycatz" running around with a misspelled name or slightly altered to achieve the same "spelling". An example being pilots flying with the names; A0Changling, Loky, V-Jacky, JavvyCat ... and others, I have had difficulty believing that it is more than a coincidence in spelling. scratch

This bring me to the topic of this post, which is, how do you feel/react upon discovering one of these ... fans being the most endearing term I feel fits these particular individuals. I only bring this up because I recently ran across someone who had the name "noztromo", and I am unsure on how to take this. This is not to claim that I feel offended or put out because of it, it's just this is the first time in my gaming history that I have come across this. I did ask the pilot about the name and he just claimed that I had stolen the name, to which I pointed out that I had four stripes next to my name where he, noztromo, only had one. He made no comment on the discrepancy, and any further talks were just in-game communications.

My interaction with this noztromo have lead me to believe that it may have been a coincidence, but I still feel curious about you other Aces that may have heard or run across one of your own Doppelganger.
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Re: Doppelgangers

Post by Vonstapler on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:06 am

Lol, that's kinda awesome. Better than the Praetorteamofshite guy anyway.
Vonstapler

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:24 am

i dont take to dopplegangers nicely... im not mean to them or anything, but im of the impression that if someone uses my name (or one of) then i wasnt being original enough...
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:55 pm

just another troll or maybe the same guy who was trolling the squads at least he doesn't use the exact copy of the nicks, not that im a saint but last thing i want is some dude being a major dick using my name

V-Jacky jesus what a girly name i bet i spawncamped that guy a million times hehe

also if this is some kind of ''old ace worship religion thing'' i would like to inform you ''my worshiping minion'' that i require daily sacrifices of emos,hippys,weeaboos,high school bullys,communists,gangsters,junkies, etc also i dont care if those heathens are armed and dangerous you have to bring them alive and beat them to death in front of me with a pink slipper

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Xron on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:39 pm

No one has copied me :'(
I want a worshiping minon.
Xron

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent of Change on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:12 pm

A0Changling... huh? that's new to me but somehow deeply appropriate.

My ego now having been fed will slumber, the world is safe once again... thank you hero.

it is kinda funny though and a little disconcerting.
Agent of Change

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:34 pm

I am wondering if it's someone who knows us and has just started another account and been cycling through names...
Haven't seen any of these, though. Not sure what to say about it as long as they're behaving themselves. Are they?
Loki
Admin

http://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am

I haven't run across any of these guys/gals actively trolling in-game, mostly they seem to be the from standard "new player" stock. None of them run Luxuries and many of them seem harmless.
Does the game have a running "Name tracker", in some attempt to force people to use unique names? Like i mentioned noztromo seemed to think that I have stolen his name when I asked.
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 am

The game uses whatever Steam allows, which is multiple instances of the same name.
I had no issue using Loki when I first joined Steam, but if you search Steam for Loki, you get thousands of hits...
Even pre-Steam on Chrome, I've seen multiple players with the same name and the only way to tell them apart was their level (this was before rank bars). I used to be Count Neural and saw another player with that name, only 40 levels behind.
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:58 pm

When I used to fly as giggling gremlin and ran into a new pilot; crazy gremlin within a couple weeks... i just figured i was being un-original (or possibly they were).

I switched to Kackling Kobold, & Love this handle so much i've never looked back. (no have i had any dopplegangers)
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Kackling Kobold wrote:When I used to fly as giggling gremlin and ran into a new pilot; crazy gremlin within a couple weeks... i just figured i was being un-original (or possibly they were).

Crazy Gremlin used to be Aeromis. He's the one I thought of when I first read the Running Away Like a Bitch thread...
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by juice on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:01 pm

lol
juice

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Loki wrote:
Kackling Kobold wrote:When I used to fly as giggling gremlin and ran into a new pilot; crazy gremlin within a couple weeks... i just figured i was being un-original (or possibly they were).

Crazy Gremlin used to be Aeromis. He's the one I thought of when I first read the Running Away Like a Bitch thread...

Not to cast aspersions of any sort, but from in game chat... pretty sure Crazy Gremlin is a female pilot.

I used to think "if someone's running back to the carrier, put your money where your mouth is & go in after them"

don't work that way anymore; those internal beam turrets are nasty, can & do shoot down missiles and rockets, and two hit kill a bomber. Kinda makes me wish they just put a "force field" on the fighter bay, & just kept everyone out period.

it's particularly frustrating in matches where an established ace is successfully nuke spamming from inside the carrier.

Last edited by Kackling Kobold on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:48 pm

generally, when I see a doppleganger, I assume it's the original who has tweaked their name (and treat them accordingly) until skill or circumstance proves otherwise. (like the original getting on at the same time).
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:54 pm

When you see some fool wearing the name ℓσηgѕнσт, please feel sorry for him - he's just a sad doppelganger with no skills. If you leave him alone, and fly straight so he can earn a kill or two, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shade on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 pm

longshot wrote:When you see some fool wearing the name ℓσηgѕнσт, please feel sorry for him - he's just a sad doppelganger with no skills. If you leave him alone, and fly straight so he can earn a kill or two, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

For some reason this made me laugh a lot irl, thanks.
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum