Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters That Give You Fits

+11
Kackling Kobold
Viking Jack
science
the-anger
juice
Loki
DrunkenMonkey
Nostromo
Shade
Vonstapler
MJ
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fighters That Give You Fits Empty Fighters That Give You Fits

Post by MJ Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Yes, we hate bombers in S&D, but what fighter gives you the most problems?

I know a lot of people are going to say the A80 or FM25, but for me, the biggest troublemaker is the F-3X Sidewinder. The others I can sneak up on and shoot down, the F-3X is so little I have a hard time hitting them with guns. If I launch a tracking missle, they just out run it. The only way I can usually down one is by hitting it with the burst effect of a few rockets, not easy. When I see one in the hands of someone tricky (yes I'm talking to you Loki), I know I'm in trouble.

MJ
MJ

Back to top Go down

Fighters That Give You Fits Empty Re: Fighters That Give You Fits

Post by Vonstapler Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Yeah, the F3X is a real hornet. I'm also generally scared of just about anything with a beam... damn nighthawks.
Vonstapler
Vonstapler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shade Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Nighthawks. Especially when the-anger is flying it. Lol...
Shade
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

I tend to shudder whenever I see more than two G5's in-game, mostly because the number of those buggers tends to define the game I'm forced to play. And, I hate being forced to play games that make me feel like work more than fun...
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:50 pm

FH250. Huge burst (especially with a very short range missile shot to start it) combined with quite a bit of mobility.

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:52 pm

I don't find any ship is particularly difficult to overcome unless you're being overwhelmed by numbers. ...then again, I've had more practice than most.

On a related note, most of the ships enable trickiness, and even the Stingray and Hammerhead are more maneuverable than you think...
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:39 pm

True. The FH90 flies nicely. I included distance/chasing under mobility, as well.

It generally depends what I'm flying/against. My F3X handles the groups my M10 has trouble with, so I suppose it depends more on your style/choice of ship.

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by juice Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:57 pm

when in the right hands, g5's give me the most challenge when bombing in CA
juice
juice

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 pm

all ships are equally annoying in the right hands or in the right numbers, but it could just be me... the ship tells you what potential your opponent has, but studying how your opponent moves and reacts will always show the way to getting through their strategies.
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by science Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:58 pm

the-anger wrote:all ships are equally annoying in the right hands or in the right numbers, but it could just be me... the ship tells you me what potential your my opponent has, but studying how your my opponent moves and reacts will always show the way to getting through their strategies.

Fixed that for you Wink

science
science

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

i dont find any fighter that gives me problems alone, but when we come to tactics there is nothing i hate more than an A80 and 2 X99 or G5 orbiting around it

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I could tell you more about a pilots potential from thier name than the model of the ship they're flying; the ship is just the spear/ mace/ rapier in their hands.

some pilots are a lot more predictable than others. With some aces, the main thing I can predict is that I will die less than 15 seconds after seeing them unless they die first.

Maybe I just play on a more intuitive level.
Kackling Kobold
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:31 pm

What a bunch of non-answers Razz

I don't see how every ship hurts *points randomly* you, you, you, or you just as much as every other ship. C'mon...a good pilot in XX ship has to affect you in a slightly more negative way than a good (perhaps the same) pilot in another!

A good V66 pilot, for instance, doesn't have to have nearly the kill count as the FH-200 pilot that's kicking ass. But that V66 that swoops in from behind, finishes off your last 50% shields, and zooms off to safety may just work better against you. Maybe many of you guys think in terms of duels, where advantages may tend to smooth out. In the battlefield as a whole, with more ship types, certain roles are simply filled better by some. Just as certain pilots' skills and styles fill niches, occasionally royally screwing up yours.

You can say every bomber is just as good (haha). But the good pilots are probably going to be most difficult to stop in a B10T or B10X. Okay, bad example Laughing That's more of a balance issue. But here's a better example. I'm a fair carrier defender. Which would I rather face? The B10T - at least during the first half of a CA. Not because the B10X is "better." The B10X can just do more damage, with me unable to stop it, in one pass. The cannons hurt more, with less warning. They can take out turrets better. They can drain the turret count, and my boost, faster. Who cares if that B10X uses up his huge reserve of boost, when the next bomber is almost here? B10X pilots also tend to use bounces more aggressively, even lining you (me) up in one quick bounce for enough cannon shells to kill you (me) in one salvo as you (I) facepalm.

Perhaps someone that flies an FH90 won't give a flip which of those two she faces. But differences like those are keen to my F3X and G5, and my style.

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:27 pm

ok... assuming the best play ive seen for each ship... 1-10 for least annoying to most annoying regardless of what i fly

F3 - 4
F3X - 7
M3 - 5
M10 - 6
V66 - 6

FM25 - 7
G5 - 8
X99 - 8

FH90 - 5
FH100 - 5
FH200 - 7
FH250 - 6
A80 - 7

B7 - 4
B10T - 8
B10G - 6
H4B - 5
B10X - 7

this applies only when the ship is flown to its full potential, ordinarily the ship is irrelevant beyond weight class
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Orphaneater Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:19 am

Anything with a damn beam cannon! Can't stand some ass hat sitting in the mouth of his carrier sniping people while the rest of his team gets obliterated in front of him....

Orphaneater

Back to top Go down

Post by Adama Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:34 am

Orphaneater wrote:Anything with a damn beam cannon! Can't stand some ass hat sitting in the mouth of his carrier sniping people while the rest of his team gets obliterated in front of him....

Best tactics when outnumbered. Smile

I love it. Smile Getting killed out there? Bad tactics. Smile

RUN RUN! HIDE HIDE! KILL KILL! Smile
Adama
Adama

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:27 am

Orphaneater wrote:Anything with a damn beam cannon! Can't stand some ass hat sitting in the mouth of his carrier sniping people while the rest of his team gets obliterated in front of him....
the solution: m10 / fm25 from the other side at the full 2km range - ive popped A80's in their carrier this way, and its funny as hell to do (as well as a challenge depending on how many turrets are there still)...
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 pm

F-250s are starting to piss me off in general. Any other heavy is easy prey to my G-5 without a wingman, but the growing number of aces in F250s tear up my G5, my A80 & my Boomer alike.

If there's a fighter that counters the F250, either I don't own it or I'm using it wrong.
Kackling Kobold
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:23 pm

the X99 can beat the FH-250 in a dogfight the problem is that ridiculous boost speed, most aces once their shields fall below 50% will run away leaving you like an old cranky man waving his cane at the air and shouting curses at some obnoxious punk in a racing motorcycle

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:40 pm

nothing scares yesterdays lunch out of your 250 pilots like a good nighthawk imo... bored with blasting mambas, my gameplay has degraded into hunting down the players that are taking it easy with overkill proportions. point being, 250's are scared of unpredictability - theyre fast but they can't dictate the pace of the action like light ships or beams can. its a mix of their shield regen rate and delay coupled with a huge profile to hit once they use their boost up carelessly.

250's are fast and hardy, that makes them overconfident in those aspects. force a 250 to run around a bit then hit it hard, it wont put up much fight.
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Kackling Kobold wrote:F-250s are starting to piss me off in general. Any other heavy is easy prey to my G-5 without a wingman, but the growing number of aces in F250s tear up my G5, my A80 & my Boomer alike.

If there's a fighter that counters the F250, either I don't own it or I'm using it wrong.

I've never found the FH-250 to be a problem for a Boomer, unless they blindside you of course. If you see them coming, just take 'em head on. You soon find out which is the real heavy fighter and which is the riced-up wannabe Wink
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:30 pm

i only beat an upgraded F250 head on with a boomer about 40% of the time or less.

When I do it's usually because I burned into them and managed to keep sighted after the bounce.

An F200 dies to that every time. The F250's little brother cant even handle a head on ram & follow from an A80.

Maybe i should upgrade my boomers ROF more.

I usually don't upgrade the guns much on most of my fighters, because having my guns overheat before i find my target is not an upgrade.
Kackling Kobold
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:12 pm

Always upgrade everything!

The ROF increases your DPS even though it lowers the length of time you can fire for. Fire in short bursts until you find your range, then open up and let them have it all.
See Jiel's reference materials for more details.
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Yes KK, upgrade that thing in all categories, and use zoom to ensure all your shots hit (aim up a little as the enemy gets closer too). I've often taken out quad heavies head on before they even get close, and with negligible damage.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Even in a Hammer Head I can take a FH-250 head on, if I start shooting first. The secret is long range shooting. Even though I'm not really great with the beam ships, I've found practicing with them has really helped my shooting with all the other ships.
MJ
MJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next