MoonBreakers Backstory

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MoonBreakers Backstory

Post by guy.thaum on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 am

Backstory for MoonBreakers

On the distant fringes of galactic battle, an ongoing commercial conflict competes for resources to feed the engines of interstellar conflict.

Long ago, planet breakers and nano makers were seeded across one arm of the galaxy. Existing matter in each sector is to be rendered into molecular sized generic nano machines and helium-3.

Once the process is sufficiently advanced, carriers appear to begin the harvest. By the Code of Commercial Conflict, carriers always travel in pairs and represent the two dominant corporations of the galaxy.

These corporations are known as the Government and the Pirates. They are functionally identical in every way, though one does have a greater tendency to say "yar".

Planet breakers do pretty much what you'd expect from the name, rending larger masses into smaller masses. Nano makers gnaw the rubble creating countless infinitesimal nanobits. Nanobits are the basic building blocks of everything, the Government, the Pirates, and the gigantic engines of galactic conflict being built at the core of this galaxy.

Uncollected nanobits form an vaporous cloud around the asteroids and planet chunks. Often it's called the soup. It's pretty much invisible, but it's always there. When you're slinging it around trying to get that Mamba in your sights, before you get in his, you can feel it. It's that bit of resistance that slows you down when you let off the turbo and makes drifting turn antics possible. If sometimes it seems faster and sometimes it seems slower, it's just the thickness of the soup you're noticing.

Once a sufficient portion of the former planetary masses have been converted to nanobits, the carriers are called. Or created on the spot. It's hard to tell the difference. But always two, each determined to gather the most helium-3 and nanobits. Helium-3 provides the energy the carriers need to maximize nanobit collection and maximize profits for their corporation.

Part of this process requires stirring the soup, breaking down the rocky bits, stirring up the nanobits. Fighters stir the soup and bombers break the rock. This is why the corporations need the pilots. Early attempts relied on automated control for both carriers and smaller craft, however under AI control carrier pairs would frequently get locked in endless minute jockeying for advantage and production of both helium-3 and nanobits suffered. Planting pilots in the smaller ships introduced enough chaos into the system to keep it from stalemating.

Pilots are all independent contractors, assigned contracts to one corporation or the other depending upon prevailing business conditions of the moment. The basic ships, the Mamba and the Rhino come with your contract. You can tweak them up with credits and they'll stay that way no matter how many times they get blown up. And once you've gotten a bit of experience, and some credits in your account, there's an assortment of other ships to tickle your fancy.

Carriers scoop the soup to make the ships to stir the soup. Ships take sips of the soup to make missiles and bombs and to keep their engines turning. The more we fly the faster the carriers can build bundles of nanobits and send them falling inward to the galactic core for the glory of intergalactic domination.

guy.thaum

Back to top Go down

Re: MoonBreakers Backstory

Post by Vanity on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 am

Hey guy,

Hehe coolies background,
Just to let you know incase you didn't know, there hasn't been development on MB since late August...
It's been a while since anyone has rally posted anything in the general section. Sort of a shame but oh well. The game has died out...

Add me on steam if you're keen to play some time [dmh] vanity
Ive been playing moonbreakers since it started way back two years ago. Smile

Vanity
Vanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:10 am

Hi Guy, and welcome to the forum.
Excellent backstory idea; it works better than some others I've heard!

As Vanity said, all developer support appears to have been pulled in favour of Uber Entertainment's other project, Planetary Annihilation.
If you like Moonbreakers as much as we do and wish to see some other ideas for continuing to have access to a game like this, please see the MoonBreakers Outlook section.
Loki
Admin

http://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanity on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:26 am

Loki wrote:Hi Guy, and welcome to the forum.
Excellent backstory idea; it works better than some others I've heard!

As Vanity said, all developer support appears to have been pulled in favour of Uber Entertainment's other project, Planetary Annihilation.
If you like Moonbreakers as much as we do and wish to see some other ideas for continuing to have access to a game like this, please see the MoonBreakers Outlook section.

Yeah, if you're interested in a new moonbreakers, please check out the link that Loki just posted. Smile
Vanity

Back to top Go down

Post by guy.thaum on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks! I've been playing since May and really, really like this game. After the last update, it did seem that some behind the scenes work was continuing as the mass disconnects/client crashing appeared to have diminished (but not been eliminated) in the month or two following the update release.

Although it does seem to have been rather static for the last two months or so, I'm not ready to give up on it. I'll see if I can find you through the Steam thing. My handle there is Guy_Thaum.
guy.thaum

Back to top Go down

Post by guy.thaum on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks! I think it allows for most of the peculiarities of the in-game mechanics and physics. Often, when I play, I have the impression that all this action is happening in some tiny backwater system where the conflict is essentially two teams of space janitors competing to sweep up the debris.

In that context, it would be easy to see MoonBreakers and Planetary Assault existing in the same universe wherein the planet breakers phase is Planetary Assault. Once the planets are smashed, they're ready for the MoonBreakers. As PA is real time strategy and MoonBreakers is more first person aerial combat, they would, I think, tend to appeal to different market segments.

The outline of things to come that WJ gave back in August would indicate a major revision of the game with the changes described for the ship upgrades. I'd guess that Uber has put MB on hold until PA gets launched. It would be really interesting to see some of the orbital mechanics shown in the PA videos be applied to create moving objects in the MB playing field.
guy.thaum

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:39 pm

guy.thaum wrote:
Thanks! I think it allows for most of the peculiarities of the in-game mechanics and physics. Often, when I play, I have the impression that all this action is happening in some tiny backwater system where the conflict is essentially two teams of space janitors competing to sweep up the debris.

In that context, it would be easy to see MoonBreakers and Planetary Assault existing in the same universe wherein the planet breakers phase is Planetary Assault. Once the planets are smashed, they're ready for the MoonBreakers. As PA is real time strategy and MoonBreakers is more first person aerial combat, they would, I think, tend to appeal to different market segments.

The outline of things to come that WJ gave back in August would indicate a major revision of the game with the changes described for the ship upgrades. I'd guess that Uber has put MB on hold until PA gets launched. It would be really interesting to see some of the orbital mechanics shown in the PA videos be applied to create moving objects in the MB playing field.

you know thats a brilliant idea, you should post it on userecho too maybe someone from PA or WJ will read it

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by guy.thaum on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Viking Jack wrote:you know thats a brilliant idea, you should post it on userecho too maybe someone from PA or WJ will read it

Actually, already did. Now it just needs about a million up votes.

http://moonbreakers.userecho.com/topic/145059-moonbreakers-backstory/
guy.thaum

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:17 am

just voted it, i hope WJ or some other devs read this atleast

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:19 am

i dont think anyone checks the userecho forum anymore, sadly, otherwise there would have been more response by now... try uber's forums perhaps?
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top