Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Conflict

+14
SienaRannock
eltazar
Death Ray
Pejota
Nightwing
Jiel
RA2lover
MFD Suraj ITA
the-anger
juice
longshot
Viking Jack
Loki
arwy
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Star Conflict Empty Star Conflict

Post by arwy Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 am

Hey guys.

I am testing now star conflict. It's a game like Moonbreakers. I mean we can drive ships in pvp encounters.
Well the game play is not like ours in Moonbreaker. But still fun.
We found the same difference and utility beetween light ships (intercepters), medium (fighters), and heavy (fregates). Except each ship is entierly customable.
For example, you can play a fregate as an Heavy laser Artillery, or as a support, healing your mates.
Or you can play an interceptor as we play a F3 or a V66.
Another example, I chose a fighter with command modules, which allow me to buff my allies (more damage, more protection) and lead them to victory ! Very Happy

It's important to note that's you have to reach levels to buys new ships. Then you need experience, money, and some réputation with a faction. It's means that you will never have exactly the same ships that other players. And if you want to play together in a squadron, you need to chose the same faction.

The game it still in beta (but no crash Very Happy ).
A game is not so long as in moonbreakers. 5 minutes is enough.

Well, if you want to test : http://star-conflict.com/en/

I cant say that it's better moonbreakers. But it's fun anyway.
Let's see there. Embarassed

arwy

Back to top Go down

Star Conflict Empty Re: Star Conflict

Post by Loki Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:59 am

Hi Arwy,
Thanks for the info; I was wondering how Star Conflict would play out.
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:27 pm

that game looks good, thanks for the info

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm

I still find Star Conflict very slow and clumsy. Is it just me, or does their fastest most agile ship class (Interceptor) handle like a Rhino?
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by juice Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:47 pm

i use a mac ... can't check it out =(
juice
juice

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 am

longshot wrote:I still find Star Conflict very slow and clumsy. Is it just me, or does their fastest most agile ship class (Interceptor) handle like a Rhino?
if games do last only 5 minutes... not very appealing in this regard
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 am

To be fair, Star Conflict is a much more polished game than MB. The quality of its graphics and sounds (both in-game and user interface) are worlds beyond IMBA's.

It incorporates the concept of capturing sectors on behalf of the faction that you've hired yourself to, with battles therefore having a greater significance than just the one-off instantly forgotten affairs on MB.

It has a tech tree for both levelling and customising your ships, something that was promised for MB but was not part of its original design.

It has some co-op missions against a pretty tough AI opponent.

It rewards and encourages teamwork.

Chances are if I'd never played MB then I'd be loving SC right now, and I may still get into it (if I can drag myself away from War Thunder). I just wish SC had more moon-breakerish speed and agility in its ships, that it required the kind of seat-of-your-pants flying skills, including the ability to hide and stalk your targets through an asteroid field, that MB has.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by MFD Suraj ITA Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

yours comment gave already quite a full spectrum , but i will try it too.

MFD Suraj ITA

Back to top Go down

Post by arwy Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm

longshot wrote:I still find Star Conflict very slow and clumsy. Is it just me, or does their fastest most agile ship class (Interceptor) handle like a Rhino?

lol.

That was my though at the beginning too.
But when you play a bit, you see that all fight are far complicated than MB. You have to think at your 3 ship you fight with, then customise them, and during a dog fight, sometimes you pray the game to run slower Very Happy

It's hard, and with an interceptor well designed, it's really, really faster than u though before.

Let's try Smile

arwy

Back to top Go down

Post by RA2lover Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 pm

the main problem star conflict has is simple - the ship handling is entirely server-sided - and it's hard to think what to do when trying to predict through the half-a-second-ish delay.

another one was added recently - the "afterburner" now works on every control nozzle instead of only on the main engine.

RA2lover

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Ah thanks, I wondered what was causing the ship to behave in a somewhat drunken fashion ... now I know!
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiel Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 am

From the stats listed on their wiki, it seems the Federation starting fighter is the most agile between the three factions. I'm going to try playing it for a bit and see how the game is.

Edit:
That game kinda sucks. It even has a targeting system that knows the speed and orientation of the enemy you're aiming at and shows you exactly where to lead your shots. :/

Also it lacks that feeling of agility that light fighters in MB have. I think piloting the Sidewinder has ruined me for other spacefighting games. :c
Jiel
Jiel

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 pm

My sentiments exactly Jiel. I've always had trouble converting the 2D screen to 3D depth perception, which always makes it difficult for me to hit any moving targets in games like MB (I just can't grasp how far away they are & hence how much to lead) ... but SC simplifies things way too much, to the point where its simply who has the biggest guns/shields wins.

Worse, the ships don't drift at all. Hit the afterburner on an interceptor, get to max speed then do a hard turn ... and it turns and keeps all your speed in the direction you're facing. I know you can reduce speed manually even to the point of going backwards, but after MB it just feels awkward and wrong.

Last edited by longshot on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 am

lol. I think Moon Breakers has pretty much ruined anything else in the "Space Dogfighting" genre... Aside from sheer lack of content, Moon Breakers is nearly flawless, imho...

EDIT: I recently got SC on my Steam account. It is one of the prettiest games that I've ever played. Don't be surprised if my time in Moon Breakers drops...
Nightwing
Nightwing

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2743055/

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:26 pm

There's a bit of a discussion going on regarding inertia (the thing that allows drifting, strafing etc in MB) on the SC Suggestions forum. If you'd like to join in, the thread is here: http://forum.gaijinent.com/index.php?/topic/18217-inertia/
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:14 am

It would be SO nice to drift in SC... I can't tell you how many times I've been in a situation where drift would be better than what they have...
If they could somehow combine the drifting of Moon Breakers and the advanced directional controls of Star Conflict, I would bow down to the epicness...

Maybe combining the control types could be something as simple as putting in a hotkey for drifting. Essentially, if you don't press the button, the controls are much like what SC has right now. If you do press the button, the controls could be like those in Moon Breakers...
Maybe being able to toggle between the two control types would be the best solution...
Nightwing
Nightwing

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:28 am

Honestly it has so many controls as it is. I'd just prefer Jello Conflict incorporated drifting as MB does - naturally and with no keystroke required. If it did, and if ships were faster, chances are I'd finally start to enjoy the game.

From their news post today though its obvious that the dumbing down of piloting was a design decision, not something they intend to reverse or improve upon in any way.

Q: Why do ships with the engine shut off lose momentum
A: The ship's systems automatically compensate for inertia to make the fights easier for pilots

They don't want space dogfights, they want slugfests. World of Tanks in "space".
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 am

i just don't know what to make of that...

without drifting, piloting fast ships becomes a chore... drifting with slow ships feels like being underwater, not space...

if its a design decision then i can only conclude that the devs think of the demographic for these types of games to be incapable of understanding inertial drift at all, if it makes their combat mechanics "too hard" for players.

disclaimer: i have not played this game, and have only formed opinions from what people have posted on this forum. i still don't intend on playing this game.
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:17 am

Think back to when you first started Moonbreakers; flying well was hard for rookies and they get punished for it by spending more time waiting to launch again. It's only when you're thirty levels in that you find yourself spending more time sending others back to the carrier.
Start Conflict made entry level easy to understand, but sacrifices a few things to get there.
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:42 am

Loki that's true, but there's other factors contributing to the noobie unfriendliness of MB. Firstly the Mamba being a difficult ship to master & fodder for Nighthawks and Honey Badgers, secondly the strange idea of turning faster to the side than up/down plus the exaggerated roll that needs to be countered, and third the default zoom which was too far in, robbing players of peripheral vision.

Yes there's turning a ship & having it drift into an asteroid, but its not high on the list of things that are hard to get used to in MB, indeed its one of the game's outright strengths. I never realised how used I'd become to partial inertia until I tried Jello Conflict. War Thunder, which is by the same publisher, has physics that are light years ahead.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:04 pm

longshot wrote:Loki that's true, but there's other factors contributing to the noobie unfriendliness of MB. Firstly the Mamba being a difficult ship to master & fodder for Nighthawks and Honey Badgers...

In Star Conflict, the learning curve is MUCH shallower than that of Moon Breakers. There is also no way to one-shot any other ship, unless you're using the Jericho Frigate special module or the Empire frig spec. mod against a noob in an interceptor... Other than that, one shot kills are nonexistent...

secondly the strange idea of turning faster to the side than up/down plus the exaggerated roll that needs to be countered, and third the default zoom which was too far in, robbing players of peripheral vision.

In Star Conflict, you can only move the reticule to where your weapons can aim. This is usually about halfway between the center and the top or bottom of the screen. You still have more left and right visibility, but the only way to counter that is to have big black bars on either side, sorta like a widescreen movie rotated 90 degrees... I've lost count of how many times I've been in a circle duel against an enemy, and they would be in prime position to hit in MB, but I can't aim my SC weaponry at them...
In order to roll during a turn, you actually have to hit the keys that you hotkeyed to 'roll'. (Q and E, in my case...)
In SC, zooming in is actually very well done: Instead of zooming in to where it's like you're looking through a camera in the nose, SC zoom is like you're looking through a camera on the upright tailfin of a WW2 fighter, like the P-51 Mustang. You can still see your enemies better, but you can react to threats coming in from the side.

Yes there's turning a ship & having it drift into an asteroid, but its not high on the list of things that are hard to get used to in MB, indeed its one of the game's outright strengths. I never realised how used I'd become to partial inertia until I tried Jello Conflict. War Thunder, which is by the same publisher, has physics that are light years ahead.

This is the only failing that I can find in Star Conflict. Introducing partial inertia (Read: Drift) would see me quitting MB altogether. As it is, Drifting and the good players I've fought are the only reasons that I still play Moon Breakers...
Nightwing
Nightwing

Back to top Go down

Post by Pejota Wed May 29, 2013 12:24 pm

I played this game very shortly, and i can say that it didnt please me at all...

Anyone has played starshatter? thats a good simulator for drifting and inertia managment.
Pejota
Pejota

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Ray Wed May 29, 2013 7:25 pm

This games controls are f**king hard compared to Moon Breakers. Or is it just cause you're used to it?
Death Ray
Death Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 am

When I first played Star Conflict, I was super excited at the freedom of movement, but as time wore on, it soon got old.
It was too easy to hit with your weapons in SC. Hell, there is an indicator of where you should shoot to hit, taking the fun out of figuring out leadoff.
The hitboxes, or the areas that you need your bullets to go to register a hit, are almost triple the size of the actual ship. And Star Conflict has no partial inertia (Translated: You can't drift). The failings are just too great to keep me around for the good stuff.

Moon Breakers, however, is one of the most fun games I've ever played. I mean sure, there might be no dev activity, and a horrid lack of variety, but the good far outweighs the bad.
The MB community is much more supportive than that of SC. (I can't tell you how many times people have trolled that alt+f4 sells a ship, knowing quite well that you can't sell a ship, and that the button combo exits the game.)
Moon Breakers is also much faster paced. If I had to compare speeds, SC has the WW1 biplanes that rarely, if ever broke 50 MPH. Comparatively, Moon Breakers would have the modern fighters that routinely go past mach 2. It's a whole different ball game.
Moon Breakers keeps me coming back. I've pretty much quit Star Conflict.

Overall, Moon Breakers is the better of the two, even with it's faults.

Moon Breakers is like a tattered old blanket: It might not warm you up as good as it used to, but it holds too many memories for you to want anything else.
Nightwing
Nightwing

Back to top Go down

Post by eltazar Fri May 31, 2013 2:16 am

i play SC a lot last month and I enjoy it... its not MB and it should be taken that way. it has much more options and game situation than MB's "hit and run" (dont take it as I mind this, hell no Smile ). Trouble is, that the noobs are making a lot more difference in this game - when you have to capture the point at close range and your team have 6 snipers "because I can kill in one shot", you are looser no matter how high your skill is Smile

anyway, I play MB and SC for 50:50 ratio... and if there is another space dogfight game as P3jota wrote, I really do not know where I should take time for it Smile

eltazar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next