Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Pirate's Life: CTF

+2
longshot
Slipstream
6 posters

Go down

A Pirate's Life: CTF Empty A Pirate's Life: CTF

Post by Slipstream Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:34 pm

"All right, fancy boys and girls. I don't know why you've decided to join our happy little squadron, and I don't really care! From now on, you are all maggot food. Yeah, that's right, you don't even have the pleasure of being a maggot! Now, it is my job to try and keep you alive long enough so that you might be able to take a dent of of our fair Guv'ments Helium-three supply. Or, at least, pay for the cost of one of these fine ships here in the hangar. Note that I said might! I expect most of you to go blazing out into the void, and waste a ship and a whole pile of He-3. My name is Tarlton, and you had better listen up.

Now, some of you may think you have experience, some of you might have even been fancy Guv'ment stick-jocks for a time. Any of you bright lights got any idea why we call it "Capture the Flag"? Siddown, son, this ain't no Academy classroom. What you're actually doing out there is raiding the enemy carrier's refuelling port, for their He-3! Sounds simple, don't it. Fly up, nab some tanks, and get home. Well, too bad there's an entire squadron of bright lights like you out there trying to do the same thing. So pay attention!

You're gonna run into a ton of jockeys out there who, through position, status, begging, borrowing, or stealing have gotten themselves one of them A-1 Fighters. They won't be flyin' these here Mambas, they'll be taking you out with Merlins and Vipers. Boo hoo, you have to fly a Mamba to your death, well suck it up. Good flyin' will keep you alive, better flyin'll keep them dead. Don't go toe to toe with 'em. Be tricky, fly those 'roids like you were licking a popsicle. I don't wanna see anyone with an intact paint job! Scrape it off while you zoom around.

There's a lot of gear lyin' around here, we do raid the Guv'ment supply depots. So use your creds to get your Mambas into fighting shape! You'll be surprised what kind of crazy maneuvering you can do in a souped up Mamba, and once you get your baby in shape, our assembly-bots will make a brand spankin' new one, each time you get skragged out there, with all your fixin's! Start with the engines and boosts, then your shields. Worry about that there missile range last, you're in a Mamba, and if you're not in their face, yer doin' it wrong!

So let's talk about CTF. Your job, boys and girls, is to do one of two things; take their 'flag' or defend ours. Yes, that's right, our carrier has the same design flaw as theirs. Suck it up! That's why we have you around.

If you're playin' defense, get yourself into the right ship! If I see any of you flying a Bomber out there, I will skrag you myself! Use your souped up Mamba, or another fighter that has a lot of firepower. Many folks here in the Hangar have written up some fine print on the various fighters, and you never know what'll be available in the hangar when the klaxons sound, so get to know 'em all! Just jumpin' into a ship and boosting off is the fastlane to pinata time, and someone else will be handin' out the beatings!

Don't go flyin' off away from the carrier. Hang back and wait for those fast bastiches to come flying in! They have to turn and burn to get back to their carrier, and that's when every fighter on deck can hit 'em! Even if you only damage them, the carrier's guns may finish 'em off, or someone else from your squadron! Pay attention at all times, keep your boost fuel ready, and skrag that wanna-be flag-capper! If by some chance they nail our flag and you drop 'em, don't leave the flag! Other pilots will be there to pick those cannisters up, so patrol it until the self-destruct module kicks in. You'll see the icon flashing, until it vanishes. Then you can go back to guarding the carrier again!

Yeah, I see you there, bright light. You don't wanna fly defense. Well, this is all about teamwork, and if you can't be a part of that, then you should seriously re-think your retirement plans. But, hey. some folks gotta try and cap their He-3, right? Well that's where the offensive line comes in.

Gettin' to the enemy is easy. You got your boosters, and you've been practicin' your stutterboost, right? Sure you have. You wouldn't want ole' Tarlton to accidentally load you into the carrier's reactor bay, right? Sure. But once you're there, you've got a ton of Guv'Ment boys and girls who just want to get back to their high-fallootin' cantina, with their fresh veggies and real meat! Wiggle around! Don't fly in a straight line, and stay out of the open! When you're going to make your run, be sure that you've got plenty of Boost available! Need cover? How about flying through their own carrier bay? Works for me, and it'll work for you. Remember, turrets can't track fast vector changes, so lead 'em on and turn quick!

Plan your route! Get back into cover as fast as you can, and ride those 'roids like you were painting them for a livin'! Hopefully you'll have some friends at your back who will keep the fire off of you, or pick up the flag if you get skragged. Don't make it easy! Fly aggressively, change your flight patterns often! Zig, zag, twist and twist and twirl like you were on the dance floor. Maybe you'll make it! Maybe.

I am here to tell you that offense isn't just about tapping that He-3 cannister. Nope! Just like defense, it is all about watchin' your squadron's back. Wanna take it to the carrier? Blast some turrets off, and plow the road for the cappers! If you see someone else cap that flag, get to 'em! Boost yourself in behind them, and fly tight! Take some fire meant for them, blast off enemy jocks on their tail, make their life a lot better! Even if they go down, you'll be there to pick up the cannister and make the run! I've seen caps take five, six fighters to cross the field, but all that matters is that we get that He-3. We all win when that flag gets back to our carrier, so don't be a glory hound. Be that flag-capper's best wingman, and they'll buy you the first round!

And here's the kicker, boys and girls. Dog-fighting in the middle of a dead moon only wastes your ship, your life, and our He-3. The goal in CTF is capping the flag. That's it! Put your ammo where it counts. Kill some turrets, protect our flag, cap their flag, or be the capper's wingman. Pay attention, be aware of the situation, fly the right ships for the mission, and stop faffin' around out there!

All right maggot food, you're dismissed. Get some chow and be ready for the next hop. We jump a Guv'ment carrier at 1400!"

Last edited by Slipstream on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Closed italics tag.)
Slipstream
Slipstream

http://artemis.eochu.com

Back to top Go down

A Pirate's Life: CTF Empty Re: A Pirate's Life: CTF

Post by longshot Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Arrrr
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Well done!
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Bif Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:49 pm

This is a useful and thorough guide to CTF. Any pilot who plans to run CTF missions should read this. ADMIN please give training materials a separate section! This should be as accessible as possible.

Seriously, Slipstream, nicely done.

Bif

Back to top Go down

Post by Bif Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:50 pm

The italics are a tiny bit harder to read.

Bif

Back to top Go down

Post by Slipstream Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Thank you. Smile I suspect that undoing the Italics is a good thing. Lemme edit the original message...
Slipstream
Slipstream

Back to top Go down

Post by Bif Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for de-italicizing =) I had to read it again without the italics, and it's even better than I remembered. Thanks again for this briefing, Slipstream.

Bif

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzycat Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:44 am

Guides, tips, how-to's and anything of a training/instructional nature should go to the Game-play forum, where it will get read directly or used, quoted, and linked to from one the Primers.

As for re-locating this stuff, I don't have Admin access so one of the others will have to move it, and the other CTF topic that's in this forum over to Gameplay... *hint,hint*

Actually... ADMINS: Please discuss how and where things should go for sure and let us know, so there's absolutely no confusion! Very Happy

The un-italics definitely makes this easier to read. Great piece of "in-character" writing, Slipstream! +1
jazzycat
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:28 pm

heres something you missed. Since the update making ships faster, it's much harder to get the flag back single handedly. Barring a level of skill that shames the other team, there are essentially two ways to get the flag back. In both cases it helps to have fast ships lurking at half field, and travel in packs. When a lone ace nabs that flag he rarely gets far, those half fielders can turn it into a relay race. I've seen a flag pass through six flag runners before getting capped.

The other way is to swoop into the carrier as a pack (big casualties).

Either way, those ships lurking at half field dropping in behind the pursuers on the way back effectively do more to secure the flag than the pilot actually running it.

Remember; skill levels the field above models, but actual teamwork can take down any ace in any model. So bottomline; in any playmode; If you're not defending the carrier (& even if you are), grab someone's wing, squad up, bunch together in packs, and have each other's backs.
Kackling Kobold
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Slipstream Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Less "missed" and more "none of the tutorials have really been looked at/updated since they were originally posted." Wink
Slipstream
Slipstream

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Slipstream wrote:Less "missed" and more "none of the tutorials have really been looked at/updated since they were originally posted." Wink

Sad, but true. However, as the ships & gameplay have not changed drastically, much of it is still relevant.

On a related note to Kobold's post, I kept pace on Broadsides against two mid-high skill players because they didn't find the proper way to work together until the last two flags of the match. The player count was pretty low, and the outcome was 7-6 when the timer ran out.

What they had been doing;
-both would race to the flag and try to pick it up at the same time
-both would fly back to the carrier with the other presumably trailing the flag runner to protect them from me, though rather poorly; I killed both of them almost every run, then I'd go on to steal their flag while they respawned

What they changed to get ahead;
-one would chase me instead of following their own runner
-if they managed to kill me during while running the flag home, they'd stay near the flag and try to take me out again

This slowed me down enough for them to get a full flag ahead, though I got the impression that this "coordination" was accidental. I had 9 flag kills that round.
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down