Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Everyone, I'm Delta38

+9
Zhaky
Wolfski
juice
Birillo
Ruffjustis
Nostromo
Loki
Kackling Kobold
Delta38
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hi Everyone, I'm Delta38 Empty Hi Everyone, I'm Delta38

Post by Delta38 Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Hello to everyone, my in game nic is Delta38
and yes, it is a reference to the Star Wars Republic Commandos, I loved the game and liked the books very much too.
About Moonbreakers, I got news of windbrakers by chance, and it's my first Online Dogfight in Space Simulation (For want of a better category, sure it exists, it just isn't springing to mind right now...).
I have flown craft in quite a few non online simulations from Wing Commander (Pretty much all of them) Descent Freespace 1,2 , Freelance and the X games. I really like moonbreakers, though sometimes I wish it were a little more polished (Mechanics and flight and control dynamics).
I am finally improving a little, still not a hotshot, but I do my best and try to play for the team.
I would also be interested in joining a wing sometime.

I also play RTS games and FPS shooters, chiefly UT2k4 (Been there since the demo) and Battlefield3 (Please no Hate, I know it's not particularly realistic).

Live Long and Prosper!
(Wrong universe) Actually I really like star trek.

Closer to nick...
When weighing explosives and firepower always factor in "P for Plenty".

In universe... "I wonder what we'll do with all that Helium 3" Except for funny voices...

Delta38 Over & Out
Delta38
Delta38

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone, I'm Delta38 Empty Re: Hi Everyone, I'm Delta38

Post by Kackling Kobold Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:31 pm

I this the same delta thats been pwning me in light/ medium fighters every time I dare to launch a light/ medium fighter?
Kackling Kobold
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta38 Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Hello Kackling Kobold,

I have not seen any other Delta named pilot on Moobreakers (Other communities might be packed though, or different region), so it might be me, I do recall seeing you in matches, but I do not recall picking on you specifically, let alone being successfull at it.
I only have an F3 (Mostly maxed) so most of the time my grudge is with Heavy's and Medium's but of course i find it easier to take on other light fighters as it takes less than the time it takes moonbreakers to crash to kill them off. But I do tend to target more skilled players over newbies when I spot them (With reduced Life-expectancy results usually).
I apologize if in I've been aggravating in anyway. I still have a hard time with the short event list (UT used to keep many many lines of kill info, to find out who you got and who got you... or friends) or rapidly checking who's flying what so I often don't notice who I've picked or who picked me off the map.

I'm just trying to improve :-)

Do you play any specific times? I'm willing to offer as good a sport/rematch as I can for wrightful vengeance and mutual improvement!

Actually this should go in the devs "To DO": permanent player statistic and detailed player aftermath statistics. I hate to bring it again as an example but UT used to give you info even as to how "Efficient" you'd been with specific weaponry Killed WITH Killed By included.

Other weird example: Different Kind of game I know, but I remember almost being banned in Battlefield 3 once... I was trapped alone on the top story of a building (Had been providing Fire Support and Suppression to a nearby team) and a bunch of enemies, circled and started gaining on my position and climbing the stairs, at first I went with Magazine after Magazine of assault rifle, once that was out of ammo I then retreated a bit more and held them off with a grenade a little longer. As they started to advance, left with pistol and an underslung grenade launcher I fired a grenade their way, only to be kicked from the match...
Apparently, (rightly only because of abuse) Battlefield 3 servers consider the use of RPG and underslung grenade launchers unfair on infantry as it can Kill lots of enemies if abused... To me, it was plain survival...

I learned my lesson there and rotated weapons and behavior accordingly, it still baffled me though (Given other apparently ridicoulous things like killing people by landing fanned scout drones on their heads is somehow legitimate). I do agree with the other posts in the forum though advocating a lighter hand on new pilots/ no torp spamming, no spawn kills.

Oh, I've been advised to unlock a G5 as a second fighter, and I'm almost there with the Creds (75%), and I hope to gain a little more of a balanced approach to targets with that... as I really hate going against stuff with missiles, beams and fast cannons as in the F3 if you're spotted first and their half good pilots it will feel like you're shooting blanks at them...

Oh, I went on a long stroll again... Sorry, I'm a serious chatterbox!

Delta38

Delta38
Delta38

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 pm

If you're good in a mamba, you'll be a terror in a G5.

Don't make my mistake; avoid the nighthawk as a first unlock. It really does take a lot of skill to use, & being one of the cheapest to unlock makes it very misleading.

I'm guilty of spawn killing aces that piss me off, but when I spawn camp I will watch and let go of multiple targets (even other aces) while I wait for my prey, fully aware that one of them may turn and end my prowling.

I don't know what server you're on, but there's a delta on the US west server has at least one heavy unlocked, & commonly trounces me (in my G5) with his G5. It's entirely possible I've mistaken you for him.

Kackling Kobold
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Delta, and welcome aboard!
Snoop around the Gameplay section for some good stuff to give you the edge you're looking for, or feel free to ask any questions Smile
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 pm

heya buddy!
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffjustis Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:26 am

Hi Delta and welcome Smile
Ruffjustis
Ruffjustis

Back to top Go down

Post by Birillo Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 am

Ciao Delta38, welcome to the forum Smile

I saw you with your F3 ..... you're good ..... take the G5, is different as maneuverability, need a little practice, but then is very fun .
I recently used only F3 (more fun) Laughing in S&D and G5 in CA and CTF
Birillo
Birillo

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta38 Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 am

Wow, I wasn't expecting such outreach :-) Thanks Everyone.

In short order, I now feel committed to going off to fetch this other Delta which has clearly gone AWOL... and bring him here!
I want to thank everyone for the comments and suggestions :-)
I love flying the F3 in fact (I didn't initially believe it could "fly in spirals around other craft") and I love spinning around targets hitting their broadside. But I know I really need to get better at keeping my speed and effectively using cover as otherwise I'm easy pick for fast cannons and even beams and missiles, and oh my is this a dangerous universe...

I guess I'll be able to exchange the creds for a G5 quite soon, and, given the free trials have long since ended, it will make for a very refreshing change to the F3-B7 routine. Though in S&D it really makes a lot of sense to fly the most nimble craft (ESPECIALLY, to run away from packs of enemy medium/heavies in hit/run).

I think I've accidentally spawn killed people on occasion, but never with definite intention, it was more of a ... 1 on 3 and in serious trouble, oh good god not 3 more...

I really want to get better at shooting medium distance too, as it seems to me I can't hit anything beyond 800 metres unless they're parked or flying straight... does the zoom help a lot with that?

Oh, I must say, I got here too thanks to Wolfski's messages, it got the better of my curious nature. And I'm glad I gave in to it.

I look forward to seeing you all in my sights (More likely in the rear mirror though )

Delta38 -

Avalaible Flying an F3 at a rock field near you...

Delta38
Delta38

Back to top Go down

Post by juice Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:20 am

welcome delta38 =)

look forward to seeing u in game
juice
juice

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Delta38 wrote:
I really want to get better at shooting medium distance too, as it seems to me I can't hit anything beyond 800 metres unless they're parked or flying straight... does the zoom help a lot with that?

There's some info in the gameplay section about exactly this, but since I'm here;
Machine guns have a range of 900m. If you are flying directly at someone who is flying towards you, zoom in and start shooting when they are at 1100m. They will reach 900m around the same time as your bullets and be pretty much dead by the time their targeting reticule lights up red and they start shooting. Remember to dodge anything coming at you by then. Head to head encounters are otherwise a very bad idea.

While the guns were initially created/balanced for the old speeds of ships, all ships were given a speed upgrade a few months ago. This has reduced the effective range of your guns (max ranges unaffected) due to the bullets being too slow to accurately lead a moving target more than 300m (maybe 400m) away from you. Your mid-range accuracy used to be decent out to 500m or so, but no longer. This needs to be balanced out again, but we sadly haven't heard from the Devs for a while...
Range on Heavy and Fast Cannons are 1600m max, though they are plagued with the same accuracy issues.

Beam weapons have the opposite issue; they travel so far, so fast, and with such a low rate of fire that you tend to over-lead, even with a lot of practice.
Loki
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta38 Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Hello Loki ,
Thank you very much for the accurate details,
this also helps in figuring out the "IGNORABLE FIRE" mental range I must admit I do have a hard time establishing the correct lead quite often as bullets either massively over shoot the target or fall straight behind. :-)
And I do attempt to pursue death from above or sideways or tail pretty much always. I sometimes resort to Head on due to the fact that the "Contrails" (Is that right?) make it difficult to make a sneaky approach onto an enemy which sees you at long range, and making it easy for them to follow you around 'roids. But I am attempting the sneaky approach of randomizing the side of asteroids I emerge on to make the contrail less of a sure fire way of catching me.
Ok, I'll ship some hot lead at long range, cool down and give second servings up close then.

Oh, I also noticed Shot Grouping (How close the two streams of bullets land, For dual machine guns at least) is a lot tighter sideways than down up, making it quite a lot more accurate on small targets while strafing.
I will scour the Gameplay section then.

See you all in game then :-)

Just for humour (Though I've got a strange not usually shared sense of humor...)
A stash of beam weapons?
Hi Everyone, I'm Delta38 Steel-i-beam-3
Delta38
Delta38

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Something I used to love doing in my A-80; horribly over leading with my MGs while locking on with the missile. Some pilots actually seemed to relax into the though that who ever's behind them must be pretty tame if they're missing by that far off... BOOM!

Doesnt work that way anymore though.
Kackling Kobold
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfski Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Welcome Delta28 .... nice to see you on board....

respect
Wolf.....
Wolfski
Wolfski

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhaky Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Welcome onboard Delta pirat
Zhaky
Zhaky

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Welcome Delta, I've seen you play. Pretty good for a beginner.

Love the trooper picture as well.
MJ
MJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta38 Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 am

Thank you mjmerchan25 and wolfski, I do my best (or my worst, interpretation tends to differ).

Oh, btw, I finally unlocked the G5 late last night on East US EU west was a bit too empty (I also successfully shot down a few turrets by drifting around them, very easy manuever compared to my previous, point at them, shoot everythin, gain distance at an angle and repeat, which tended to get too much unwanted attention by all turrets and defenders...).

Oh, and, I hope it's considered a fair manuever, but I discovered in the gameplay section the remote detonation of dumbfire missiles.
MASSIVELY USEFUL... I've "startled" a lot of unsuspecting medium/heavy fighters with it, by detonating to one side and approaching guns blazing on another...

Each day, I'm finding out new things...

The trooper is the original name bearer of my nickname, if you want to see more of them, you got to get the Game Star Wars Republic Commando (A squad based FPS set in the clone wars era), or the related novels by Karen Traviss. Both of which I would highly recommend.

Godspeed!
Delta38

Delta38
Delta38

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:20 am

Welcome. And detonating rockets is what makes them so useful. Learn to lead with them, and when/if to detonate, and they'll treat you well.

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 am

As DMonky says, it's not cheap; also use rockets to pop torpedoes and incoming missiles.

I played Republic Commando. I thought it was pretty cool, but found some of the enemies were super-overpowered compared to everything in any other SW game or movies (thinking the B2 Battle Droids). Then again, the guys in your squad were very OP compared to other clone troopers Smile
Loki
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta38 Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 am

You're 100% right! I got lucky and shot a torp out of the sky with a dumbfire last night... and it was like 20m from my carrier too...
It makes me feel like the Mamba just got a 100% increase in firepower.

On Republic Commando, yes from SBDs onto Spider Droids (Droidekas were doable), onto the nigh on unkillable robot MagnaGuards (The ones with the jumpy and dodgy energy pikes...). It made for a good challenge :-)

If you play on Hard it comes close to Halo1 on Legendary (as difficulty goes). Yes the Commandos were in the in-game in-books universe) bred and trained to much higher standards... so it was only fair to see them trounce Droids trandoshan and generally shooting the living daylights out of everything.
I always admired the work the development team did with SWAT personnell into understanding rapid entry team mechanics and the cover system. As it made it much more believable as actually highly trained commandos. (Compare with suicidal Halo Marines, or COD NPCs)
So, even though less intelligent than the F.E.A.R. AI teams or other non-waypoint based AIs they were still smart and dangerous (Lucky they were on our side).

But come on, you can't deny that the moment you go up close and personal to a droid(or a trandoshan), and vibroblade their head off, and hear the shriek and the oil spatter on your visor it's instant classic! (The extra-cool energy visor wiper notwithstanding).
Good times!

You know, not to start a massive off-topic (as if it's seeds hadn't started blooming already ), but another really enjoyable game was Chronicles of Riddick, 10/10 for style.

Delta38
Delta38

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Yeah, the magna-guards were near invincible for the first 20 attempts Razz

I played the hell out of Riddick (and eventually the sequel) lol
I was impressed with the gritty feel and hand-to-hand combat; once you start a good left-right combo, humans go down quick. Was rather fond of the non-regenerating health, low count of healing stations, and difficulty in actually acquiring more health. I recall back-tracking many times to reach a partially used med-station. Sneak mechanics were pretty good compared to many other games at the time, too. Never did find all those cigarette packs, though I found all the extra health stations.
Loki
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta38 Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Yes, that was a really great game, I've got the sequel too somewhere but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
I loved how in the first one they explored the character's backstory and how he got his "Eyeshine".
Plus, the stealth mechanics were really good, the guards weren't stupid and except for their assault rifle being a bit unprecise (Compared with the Screwdriver in your face approach) it really felt like a challenge, and not an easy one...
Such a nice game... Oh, as if you've played it through you must remember.
The scene before he enters the underground dungeon...
"It's not the fall that get's you... " "It's the sudden stop." That was just awesome...
But I guess the Riddick character is an extremelly likeable anti-hero to begin with.

Man that G5 should require a license to fly... IT is a little less manuevable than the F3, and does lack that gun run, spin, shoot some more and run off capability, but with the engine upgrades it runs almost as fast and packs amazing punch and holds it's own against more manueverable craft! I once more want to thank everyone who recommended it. It makes taking on heavies and multiple lights a breeze. The missile behaviour is a bit strange though as sometimes it launches a second missile instead of detonating the first, but it may be a "short press" "long press" thing...

Last edited by Delta38 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Delta38
Delta38

Back to top Go down

Post by DrunkenMonkey Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:29 pm

It all depends on the timing. Since the G5 has a faster rocket reload, you have a shorter detonation window before right click goes from "blow up" to "shoot a rocket."

DrunkenMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta38 Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:32 pm

ah I see... Thank you :-)
I think lots of people tonight on the US servers would rather I didn't though...
I'm afraid the rockets sent a lot of heavies to Helium3 Hell (Were all you can hear is the flight deck office saying he'll send his mother in law in for the dogfight"!)
(Mind you, lots of people sent me there too ... )
Delta38
Delta38

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfski Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:10 pm

geez this boy certainly has got those rabid typing fingers cyclops
Wolfski
Wolfski

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content