Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buddha Fish's Weapon Idea Thread

+2
ratcharmer
Buddha Fish
6 posters

Go down

Buddha Fish's Weapon Idea Thread Empty Buddha Fish's Weapon Idea Thread

Post by Buddha Fish Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Lately I've been thinking of new ship and weapon ideas like mad so, I thought I'd post a few to start off this thread, and anyone else can post feedback or other weapon ideas.
Here's the starters:

EMP Rockets
Range: 600m
Reload time: 3 sec.
Life: 600m

EMP rockets function much like normal rockets, though slower, less powerful and have a much shorter effective range. The blast radius though is slightly larger than the default variant. The EMP rocket can do one of two things, which effect is implemented will be up to you guys. The first effect is disabling the ship with a mini-stun that would disable the use of weapons and afterburners for 0.25s~0.5s (or you could totally disable the ship for 0.25s, which seems like a reasonable amount for the current meta). The other option would be to instantly drain either the shield or the fuel tank, causing the enemy to instantly start recharging from 0. The EMP concept can also be adapted for missiles.

Hellfire Rockets
Range: 800m
Rate of Fire: 8.00
Heat: 100/shot

Hellfire rockets, once popular with anti-air ground forces at He-3 facilities, have been re-purposed to be used on ships. Technically this is a rocket cannon, trading the more power default variant for smaller, faster, much less powerful hellfire variants. Unlike most guns that just fire cannon shells or machine gun bullets, these projectiles will function much like rockets. This weapon, though, is very heavy and generates a great deal of heat per shot, so it would only be viable on Heavy fighters or Bombers.

Buddha Fish
Buddha Fish

Back to top Go down

Buddha Fish's Weapon Idea Thread Empty Re: Buddha Fish's Weapon Idea Thread

Post by ratcharmer Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:35 pm

I kinda like the Hellfire rockets, though it might prove a little too potent versus turrets & bombers.

As for EMP, I generally find stun mechanics annoying, although one that short could be okay.

I'd really like to see a weapon sort of like this one in the game:
drift mines
Secondary weapon, drops a long-lived warhead that slowly drifts toward the nearest enemy deals damage comparable to rockets/missiles

ratcharmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm not a fan of the one EMP idea; it's difficult for rookies to survive as it is without having your afterburner tank or shields dumped, either of which is ~99% death for any player (pronounced "victim").
Put that thing in my hands and my kill count will skyrocket, probably high enough that I'd never touch it again. You'd be lucky if others felt bad enough to stop using it...

A Jamming weapon that reduces (rather than disables) Turn Rate, Acceleration, or Speed would be more appropriate (I mean one of the above, not all; could even be an option to choose which at launch?).
Something that adds heat to the target's primary weapon or reduces cooldown time would be interesting to use as well.

I like the idea of mines or other defensive/utility weapons.
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Buddha Fish Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm

I actually got a recommendation from my dad to create a mine, so here we go:

Standard Mine
Secondary Weapon
Range: 0m (You'll be dropping them off behind your ship)
Speed: 0m (They're mines, they're meant to be stationary)
Damage: Equal or lesser to a torpedo.
Life: 10 secs.*
Self-Destruct time: 10 secs.*
Blast radius: Half or less of a torpedo.
Note: Does reduced or no damage to carriers or turrets.

*Only using 10 seconds as a place holder until a more reasonable time is presented.

Also, I do see your point Loki, so a stun or disable would be a bad idea. Though reducing the performance of a ship seems a lot more viable.

Hellfire rockets are meant to be an alternate for rockets/missiles/cannons/fast cannons. While you can shoot many, fast little rockets, they only go where the ship is pointed. The blast and damage is also reduced. So instead of a bunch of rockets doing 225 damage +25% remaining health, they could do 110 damage +10% remaining health. Seeing how they are rockets, you would only be able to fire a certain amount before the cooldown kicked in.
Buddha Fish
Buddha Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:33 pm

I like the mine idea.
Though i'm more for them being less deadly and more of an obstacle, maybe give them a low-medium dmg range and then add knock back in there. This would make them more dangerous around carriers and small places, but wouldn't allow people like loki to train people around.

although now that i think about it, i'm not sure how to stop/slow loki's boss mode
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Nostromo_Crew wrote:although now that i think about it, i'm not sure how to stop/slow loki's boss mode

o.O Boss mode?
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by Buddha Fish Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Oh yeah. You get a bigger HP bar over your head and your ship starts carrying a big sword.

That's your boss mode.

On a serious note, I like the idea of mines being bumper buddies ('cause they knockback and go boom when you bump into 'em, ya know). If they stay at a high damage variant though, they'd need to have a cool down equal to that of a torpedo. The lower damage variant can have a cool down of about 10 seconds and that might make them more useful. A mine-laying ship would change the strategies of CTF and CA drastically while S&D would be changed only a little.
Buddha Fish
Buddha Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by ratcharmer Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Question for the high-damage mines:
If they have a blast radius, how is it triggered? Remote detonation (like torpedo) automatic if someone gets close, or just only when someone bumps into it?

Any weapon that could stop/slow Loki in boss mode would be brokenly OP

ratcharmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Buddha Fish Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 am

Well how do normal sea-mines operate? I mean yes we're in space and technology has advanced far past the days where we need big, spiky balls of explosion in the ocean. So bumping them would DEFINITELY set them off, but they could also have a proximity that if breached would cause the mines to explode. To explain this, we turn to magnets and EMPs again. Ships need electricity, electricity generates a small magnetic pulse, the mines could use that magnetic pulse to make them go off.

Also any weapon that makes the chase a hell of a lot more difficult would change the game entirely.
Buddha Fish
Buddha Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Can-Swiss Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:51 am

EMP is interesting, but a slight addition, as power goes off the ship does a random roll and pitch (small, say 45-degrees max) to throw it off course so when the power comes back on, you could go splat into a rock. Think of what happened on BSG to the Vipers based on the Cylons Virus, but Short lived like you suggest.

I think the effect would be fun and devastating. Oh, in CTF, if they are carrying the Flag, it drops off the ship. If your a Bomber, and launched a Nuke, it Nullifies the nuke and cause it to disarm and destruct with no credit for the torp being killed. It would also cause the Rearm timer to start from 0 again. Would be great on a Bomber Hunter.

I officially call this the CanSwiss Splat Effect or CSE.

The hellfire idea has been brought up many times before. I like it, but hard to implement I think.
Can-Swiss
Can-Swiss

Back to top Go down

Post by Xron Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:56 am

First of going to point out yet again that the % dam system is caculated like this.
Either the projectile does it's base damage OR % of health remaning, which ever is biggest. Not Base Damage + %

I like the helfire rockets in a way, they seem similar to the swarm rockets me and WJ have talked about that would also only be on heavy or bombers.

I'm not sure about the emp idea, it could be done well or it could just be annoying.

I don't like the idea of mines... their not very dogfighty and this game is ALL about dogfights
Xron
Xron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down