Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helpful Hints for Newbies

+10
longshot
Bif
Jiel
Snubby
SuPerKen
jazzycat
FoxHound
Loki
tedwj
Ferc Polo
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Helpful Hints for Newbies - Page 2 Empty Re: Helpful Hints for Newbies

Post by Loki Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Drifting.

Here's how it is.

Don't turn up or down, but go left/right instead; there's more room to push your mouse further horizontally.

Keep your speed up for harder drifting (see my tips for better drifting that Nyxy posted).

Turn left or right while holding down one of the roll keys (Left Turn uses Right Roll & vice versa). For really hard turns, push your mouse into the corner of the screen.

How to tell that you're doing it right; you should see your ship turn sideways. You should see the horizon stay level on your screen (no roll). Easiest place to see/practice this is launching on the Broadsides map; when exiting from the hangar, hold down the Left Roll key and put your mouse to the right edge of the screen. Alternately, you can get shot a few times until you're smoking, then try drifting and check out your smoke trail. You can draw a circle with it.

You can practice drifting & shooting around your own turrets; they're stationary and won't fire back at you. You'll look like a crazy person, but that's ok. Hint: don't fly straight at the turret, but approach with the turret at 2 or 10 o'clock and keep your speed up (that means a touch of afterburner) before you start to drift. In almost any ship (even bombers) you can hold the drift long enough to overheat your guns.

Once you get some practice at shooting your own turrets, you can find a quiet server and practice on the enemy turrets. This will make you better at this game.
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzycat Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 am

Q: How do I regain health?
A: Regenerates over time. There is a 10 second delay after being damaged before shielding starts to regenerate and you start to regain health one 'bubble' at a time. If damage is taken during regeneration the 10-second delay will kick-in again, so fly fancy/hide/return to the carrier for cover. You should see full shields restored within 10-20 seconds from fully depleted depending on your ship class and model.*

* According to MB Newswire; if this info's changed since, let me know so I can update the FAQ.

Last edited by jazzycat on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jazzycat
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:18 am

jazzycat wrote:Q: How do I regain health?
A: Regenerates over time. There is a 10 second delay after being damaged before shielding starts to regenerate and you start to regain health one 'bubble' at a time. If damage is taken during regeneration the 10-second delay will kick-in again, so fly fancy/hide/return to the carrier for cover. You should see full shields restored within 10-20 seconds from fully depleted depending on your ship class and model.

If you have any other misc. questions, post them here!

Different ships have different recharge times for shields. Check the Shield Delay value on your ship stats for the specifics.

Mamba & Rhino have quickest regen time at 8 6* sec before it starts. Most others start regen after 10 seconds. Top tier ships (Viper, Merlin, Swordfish, Panther) is 12.

Your Shield Regen Rate upgrade increases the amount of shields you regenerate per second after the delay is over. This upgrade should be secondary to your primary shield level; if you break off to rest, it won't hurt to stay hidden a touch longer.

*updated with latest ship stats
Loki
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Boost Feathering Techniques
Lifted from some posts at the Userecho forum;

Loki's post;
There's a technique to using your booster that can extend the duration of it for more than twice as long. Try this;
Don't hold your down spacebar like a gas pedal, but tap it instead. This gives your boost a chance to replenish between taps and once you hit top speed, you'll stay there briefly without having to hit the boost. Play around with this and you'll learn where the peak of your boost is and how long you'll stay there.
Don't neglect your ship; every upgrade is important, and if you want more speed, the top 4 items on the upgrade list are the ones for you.

Jiel's post;
It's a lot longer than twice if you tap. You don't tap it that fast either, just at a steady moderately paced beat like 1-2-3-4. Try to tap it as slow as possible while still keeping the burners maxed.

I know couple of people have accused me of cheating by flying to their base by the time they launch, but there is a method i follow to dominate CTF:

1. Use an F-3X Sidewinder with all speed/afterburner/fuel upgrades.
It's a lot easier to pull off sustained afterburners because of its high acceleration. It's about twice as efficient as a normal F-3 Mamba when you just use short pulses.

2. Select your ship in the lobby.
It lets you launch right at the start of the round instead of having to waste 10 seconds to select it and wait for the next launch interval after the round starts.

3. Make good use of the initial launch speed.
This one is a bit more useful for low acceleration ships like a normal Mamba because they take a hefty portion of fuel just to get to their max afterburner speed. To use the it effectively, just start tapping as soon as you launch so you sustain that speed without having to waste a bunch of fuel for accelerating.

Using those three points, I can usually zip all the way to the other side of the map, wiggle through turret fire, and grab their flag while they're still getting their pants on. Making it back safely after that takes a bit of cleverness though.

4. After grabbing the flag, stop tapping, turn down and coast into their ship from behind.
When inside, continue slowly until just before the internal turrets orient themselves to you to fire. What this allows you to do is refill your fuel tank a bit before the sprint back home.

5. Punch it and zip past a bunch of really confused people in the launch bay.
Fly in a straight line directly to base while you still have afterburner fuel. This seems really counter intuitive to some, but it's actually a lot harder to hit someone straight on from a distance, especially when they're flying away from you really fast, your profile from their point of view is very narrow. By flying through and past them from inside their base with your afterburners, you more or less achieve this. They won't be able to make any arc shots on you either since your flight path appears, from their point of view, to be a small line along their depth of vision.

6. If you run out of fuel on the way back, then do an irregular wiggly spiral dance. Doing this lets you dodge fire while you wait for your tanks to replenish. After about 4~5 seconds of wiggling (or more if you can afford to), hit the afterburners again and tap them back to base.

7. After you capture the flag, hurl yourself into your base to commit suicide.
This lets you launch again. Repeat ad ridiculum from point 3.

Of course, this is only one basic method and if you do it over and over again, people will adapt. I mix it up a bit for the second and third flags, but usually do this for the first one. Also, you can't really slow down to coast into their base if they have a flag guard, but this usually isn't a problem for first one if you do it right at the start.
Loki
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzycat Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:26 am

WJ wrote:The targeting cross-hairs goes red when your weapon is in range. It doesn't mean that you will hit. In fact, against a moving target you will almost never hit what you are aiming directly at. With machine guns I start firing and then adjust to burn down a target, or spray a scattering of shots to keep an enemy from recharging shields. The shot velocity for cannons have been increased lately, so you don't have to lead as much.

Certain weapons can cause bonus damage against large targets. The damage caused is based on health remaining. For example, rockets cause 25% of the targets health if that amount is larger than its based damage. This causes the reducing attack power effect, however the attack power never falls below its baseline (which has never been decreased, so the secondary weapons cause more damage than they did in the past). This is admittedly a complex (and unexplained) mechanic, but it makes secondary weapons useful against large targets without letting them one-shot smaller targets. The take-away point is that firing secondary weapons against targets is very useful to start with, but you usually have to finish targets of with standards.

Some veteran players are very difficult to kill. I have been playing for a long time, and there are some ppl who I have to spend the whole match trying to hunt down.

I would suggest you try out the (newly upgraded) Kingfisher. It has the speed to catch anyone, and Light Cannons (which have a nice shot velocity, making them easier to hit with). If you use a Mamba, try and get in close before you open up with the machine guns. You don't want to give warning, and it is very difficult to hit from a distance.

--wj
http://moonbreakers.userecho.com/topic/119786-why-the-attack-power-drop-off/#comment_135619
jazzycat
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post by ratcharmer Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 pm

If I could be so bold as to suggest a few?

-Never fly in a straight line near enemy turrets. Especially don't fly directly towards an enemy turret. Aim at it long enough to get a shot/burst off then aim away again.(already listed)

-Rockets do more damage to targets with more health. Thus early on rockets will deal massive damage to turrets, but once they are low guns are often more effective.

-Nukes take 5-6 seconds to arm, so don't fire them point blank. Once armed the bomber can detonate them manually. It's important to keep this in mind when chasing bombers.

-Nukes can be shot down, and should generally be your highest priority target when defending in Carrier Assault.

-Don't try to fire Nukes directly at a turret on the carrier. They WILL get shot down.

-Tracking Missiles lock on to the target in the center of the screen, not the one by your cursor. They can be fired without a lock (and will fly in a straight line like rockets).

-Know the mission objective. If you drop in partway through a game press F2 to learn what type of game it is. Remember that EVERYTHING else comes second to the mission objective. Getting 5 kills and no deaths out in the middle of nowhere doesn't help your team capture the flag.

-Get an idea of what roles the ships you have access to excel in. In general, bombers aren't for defense.

-In Search & Destroy, try to fight as close to your carrier as you can, and avoid getting close to their carrier. There's little benefit to damaging the carrier and the turrets provide a significant "home turf" advantage.

ratcharmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:53 pm

ratcharmer wrote:If I could be so bold as to suggest a few?

-Never fly in a straight line near enemy turrets. Especially don't fly directly towards an enemy turret. Aim at it long enough to get a shot/burst off then aim away again.(already listed)

-Rockets do more damage to targets with more health. Thus early on rockets will deal massive damage to turrets, but once they are low guns are often more effective. Rockets are indestructible and cannot be destroyed. Rockets can be remote detonated after firing by right clicking again.

-Nukes take 5-6 5 seconds to arm, so don't fire them point blank. Once armed the bomber can detonate them manually. It's important to keep this in mind when chasing bombers. Advanced torpedoes arm in 4 seconds.

-Nukes can be shot down, and should generally be your highest priority target when defending in Carrier Assault.

-Don't try to fire Nukes directly at a turret on the carrier. They WILL get shot down.

-Tracking Missiles lock on to the target in the center of the screen, not the one by your cursor. They can be fired without a lock (and will fly in a straight line like rockets). Missiles can be shot down by turrets or machine guns and destroyed with rocket or torpedo remote detonation.

-Know the mission objective. If you drop in partway through a game press F2 to learn what type of game it is. Remember that EVERYTHING else comes second to the mission objective. Getting 5 kills and no deaths out in the middle of nowhere doesn't help your team capture the flag.

-Get an idea of what roles the ships you have access to excel in. In general, bombers aren't for defense or dogfights.

-In Search & Destroy, try to fight as close to your carrier as you can, and avoid getting close to their carrier. There's little benefit to damaging the carrier and the turrets provide a significant "home turf" advantage.
Loki
Loki
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tedwj Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:32 pm

My tip:

Please spend your time flying and killing the bad guys...Telling me what to do, or what to fly is just a waste of your time.

Last edited by tedwj on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
tedwj
tedwj

Back to top Go down

Post by GratuitousLurking Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:15 am

Sadly Steam changed it's old forums, so I can't find my thread I did there of tips from back when I was really nuts for Moon Breakers :< A few users even gave piloting tips liberally for various ships too. Aw well, guess it's time to get back in practice :3

GratuitousLurking

Back to top Go down

Post by Kackling Kobold Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:40 pm

learn the ship designation, particularly the mean ones (the A-80, the F250, X99) ect.

Hit tab to see what people are flying & you can anticipate what you're up against.

If you know there are A-80 pilots, watch for those names and open with a rocket; it jams the missile lock, which will keep you alive a few seconds longer, if not wreck the A-80's day entirely.
Kackling Kobold
Kackling Kobold

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:36 pm

tedwj wrote:Please spend your time flying and killing the bad guys...Telling me what to do, or what to fly is just a waste of your time.

I totally agree... I've lost COUNT of how many times I've had people trolling in a match ("You should be using the ___" "Don't aim at noobs" Etc.), and I've wished for a friendly fire option (The team votes to kill the troll) or target designation (the troll has a permanent targeting marker on them that can be seen through obstacles, like the flag beacon in CTF).
Either of those options would be QUITE helpful in making the game more enjoyable...
Nightwing
Nightwing

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2743055/

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Just a mute option would be nice Wink
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:07 pm

longshot wrote:Just a mute option would be nice Wink

Or maybe an option to kick them from the match...
Nightwing
Nightwing

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2743055/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum