Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Latencies

4 posters

Go down

High Latencies Empty High Latencies

Post by Jiel Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:19 am

Are hits not registering a sign of playing with a high latency? I'm aware that hits having a delayed effect are due to latency, but what if they just don't register at all? v:

A few people have mentioned that bullets seem to pass through me sometimes, without any effect. I'm not sure if this is due to lag on one side or the other, the slightly angled spread of Merlin MGs, or another reason entirely. :c

edit: Fixed run-on sentence.
Jiel
Jiel

Back to top Go down

High Latencies Empty Re: High Latencies

Post by the-anger Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:18 am

low rate would be one explanation, not necessarily ping on its own. ie, teleporting and such. if that is happening you might be teleporting over their bullets, very possible if you're tapping boost or flying in any non-linear way and so on...

would be more clear if you could also give detail of what you see when this happens.
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiel Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:15 pm

I don't see anything abnormal, I'm only aware of it after it's pointed out. Though, in retrospect, the outcome of a number of fights seems a lot more plausible if this were the case. :c
The Sidewinder might be agile, but it can't survive that long in the middle of enemy danmaku.
Jiel
Jiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:16 am

I've had instances where my rockets would disappear right in front of my ship without detonation immediately after I fired.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 am

Nostromo_Crew wrote:I've had instances where my rockets would disappear right in front of my ship without detonation immediately after I fired.
MB server keeps your button states (up/down; pressed/depressed) while the client (ie, your copy) just assumes the server will receive all of the commands. sometimes, firing buttons might not work correctly and stuff like that will happen (or your rocket detonating instantly, and so on)
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm

It's just that this is the first time I've ever had an issue in the seven months I've played. The big gripe is that is seems to not cause any damage to adjacent enemies when it happens.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 pm

hmm... now that i think of it, object-create calls are server-side... meaning that if you can see a ship or rocket or torpedo, it must have existed on the server at some point (anything you launch is created on the sever, and a replication message is sent out to all players).

if you can see the missile and it detonates instantly, it will cause damage to anyone within 100m of the launch point, so perhaps nothing was close enough? also possible is that another rocket detonated nearby (or a nuke/torp) and took out your rocket the moment it was created...
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:21 am

irritating but possible.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:41 am

A bug which often happens is that nukes don't explode when they hit the carrier, nevertheless I score a hit.

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 am

Abstractness wrote:A bug which often happens is that nukes don't explode when they hit the carrier, nevertheless I score a hit.
i still don't understand why this happens. i want to believe it is lag-related, but often when it starts happening to my torpedo's, it keeps happening until the end of the round. for other's torpedoes, i'm quite certain it is lag related.... the torpedo removed from play before local impact happens, but i still have no idea why it stays that way sometimes...

edit - afterthought: i have noticed that the collision model sometimes is shifted due to lag, would explain this...
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:06 pm

the-anger wrote:
Abstractness wrote:A bug which often happens is that nukes don't explode when they hit the carrier, nevertheless I score a hit.
i still don't understand why this happens. i want to believe it is lag-related, but often when it starts happening to my torpedo's, it keeps happening until the end of the round. for other's torpedoes, i'm quite certain it is lag related.... the torpedo removed from play before local impact happens, but i still have no idea why it stays that way sometimes...

edit - afterthought: i have noticed that the collision model sometimes is shifted due to lag, would explain this...

I see this pretty regularly when I'm on Euro West. It's annoying when you're expecting a torpedo explosion make a defender shy away.
Loki
Loki
Admin

https://moonbreakers.forumotion.com/t48-this-is-the-part-where-i-

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:40 am

as an experiment, if you get the chance when this happens, try landing hits from opposite directions.

if im right, there will be a particular hemisphere / very wide cone of directions where the torpedo will not give an explosion... that should decisively say if there is a mismatch between absolute coordinates...
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down