Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War Thunder

+11
Nightwing
Viking Jack
SienaRannock
MJ
the-anger
BitesBack
Pejota
eltazar
Nitestalkr
Brodur
longshot
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

War Thunder - Page 3 Empty Re: War Thunder

Post by Nostromo Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Sorry, after playing for awhile and trying to adapt to the different aircraft, i can finally say this is not a game for me. I have no expertise in flying 'realist' simulations and with the recent patch I am finding harder and harder to continue to play. I no longer can maintain a tail on enemies  and even when I manage I still can not keep the sights on target longer enough to ever kill anyone. Since the Patch I have play thirteen games and have killed one person, and only cause he decided to ram me in a H2H which accredited me with his kill.

I see no reason to continue playing this, it's only causing me grief anymore.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:38 pm

95% of the real fighterpilots never got a kill and died by the hand of an ace.
Have you been playing in the realistic mode ? What did they change in the patch ?

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey Nostromo, sorry to hear that & you'll certainly be missed!

Abstractness: the salient feature of the change was a general weakening of plane strength across the board, so if you get someone in your sights you're less likely to have to empty a whole magazine into them to get the kill - but of course the same goes if someone shoots at you.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Razz

Meh, It's sometimes better to know when you're out of your weight class in a game than to continue until Rage becomes a common fixture. I never seemed to contribute much to you guys during any of the matches, unless I went exclusively after the ground targets. And, even then, it was a matter of seconds before some other Ace found and killed me without notice.

I have only have the privilege of flying the Arcade mode, mostly cause somewhere I thought I saw that a joystick was required to play realistic.

Granted I may fancy a flight once in awhile, but no guarantees to being a frequent flyer. I'll just stick to my fiction sims and FPS's.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:48 pm

I found it much the same early on as well, took quite some time until I figured out how to stay alive and later on how to get kills and complete clean bombing runs.

If you're not enjoying it though then yeah, no point continuing with a game that makes you angry. Hey at least you provided a classic sound bite for the end of a video Smile
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:26 pm

My old Joystick doesn't work well anymore. I flew in a realistic mode with the mouse.
To do this you have to play around with the control settings e.g. invert the y-axis. Don't be surprised if this mode causes you more grief.

In a real dogfight one heared the sonic booms of the closely passing bullets. This warned the attacked pilot.
I don't think one hears this in War Thunder.

Last edited by Abstractness on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Realistic mode with the mouse _will_ cause you grief as you have only a 100%-or-nothing keyboard for the rudder. Really wish they'd implement separately configurable acceleration speeds for the various keyboard flight surface controls.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 pm

this game is one that takes a good deal of patience as you learn the techniques, flight model and unlock some decent planes by tier 3-4. been playing it for less than a week, and it took the first 4 days before i could get multiple kills per match even close to consistently.

yes, it is a steep learning curve if you have never had your hand at sims revolving around gliding / real flight models (thank you pilot wings 64 hang-glider mode) but once you're familiar with the way that a plane / glider responds and moves, the strategies will become apparent on their own in how to survive and how to attack.
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 pm

I used the mouse for rudder and elevator, but I wasn't able to fully decouple the ailerons from the mouse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Nostromo wrote:Sorry, after playing for awhile and trying to adapt to the different aircraft, i can finally say this is not a game for me. I have no expertise in flying 'realist' simulations and with the recent patch I am finding harder and harder to continue to play. I no longer can maintain a tail on enemies  and even when I manage I still can not keep the sights on target longer enough to ever kill anyone. Since the Patch I have play thirteen games and have killed one person, and only cause he decided to ram me in a H2H which accredited me with his kill.

I see no reason to continue playing this, it's only causing me grief anymore.

i always sucked at plane simulators to be honest my first simulator online was MB at first i thought i was going to get owned both in MB and war thunder and look at me now, try changing the mouse sensitivity and the other controls then try other nations maybe the one you are flying for doesn't have planes that fit your playing style

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:57 pm

It's my hesitation that prevents me from using the country that my play style is modeled around. For me, Russia sounds like it would be the perfect fit. I love flying the dodgy quick response units in any game, but, I abhor something that doesn't have a visible weakness to it. 'Balanced' units in any game ought to be hard to come by, imo, and ought to be beaten by a skilled unit of any other sort. Other classifications that I believe ought to be constant in any game should be as follows. . . Strength(dmg), Toughness(health/dmg resist), Speed, Agility(responsiveness to controls), and finally 'uniqueness'.

My idea of Uniqueness is a fickle thing, many games it is the powers or abilities that make it unique. However, unique could represent a combination of the other classifications, such as Str/Agi or Tgh/Spd. Or even as simple as having more attacks per second.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 am

For dodgy quick-response planes you want Japan.  The reserve biplanes are much the same as other tiers, but then you get into the first Zeros and the oh-so-sweet Hayabusa at tier 2.

I do think you'll only do better when you practice elements of energy fighting, and by that I don't necessarily mean boom & zoom.  Check the vids on the DMH forum that I posted re High & Low Yoyos and the Lag Displacement attack.  Another thing is getting used to spamming the C key to look around at every opportunity - if you don't you end up with tunnel vision and you're a ripe target for an ace to blindside your plane.

Honestly you're a better pilot than I am in MB (not that that's hard) and if I'm doing ok in WT then I'm sure you could excel at it. After all, I am literally twice your age - and so is my eyesight and reflexes Wink

Last edited by longshot on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 am

I can't fly worth a damn in WT...
I tried to do the torp run against the battleship Yamato in the Pacific theater single mission, and I end up timing out before I can do any noticeable damage. Most of that time is used to do orbits while I wait for my torpedo to reload.

As for dogfighting? Forget it. I usually end up either slamming into the ground, or sacrificing myself to inflate another players kill scores...
Nightwing
Nightwing

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2743055/

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Ray Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:25 am

Maybe A3riaL on US
Death Ray
Death Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking Jack Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:38 am

like longshot said if you want agility you want japan, as for russia they aren't the most agile they are simply utterly op, so russian planes are everything durable,agile and have a lot of firepower, thats why you don't see a weakness in them!!!!

in other words, soviet super planes are our superiors....

Viking Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:07 am

Just finished a vid of another agile low-tiered plane (more of a tutorial actually) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_YsxyKyzI
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:20 pm

nice video.
what do you do if you meet another pilot head to head both alone at high altitude?
I just kept on climbing and as soon as I entered his fire range I flew downwards with negative Gs. Maybe a second later I was below his line of fire and began to pull up to loop up behind him.

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:39 pm

It doesn't tend to happen very often.  If you're in a plane with cannon, especially 37mm, then you definitely want to get some shots off using zoom at around 1km range, then quickly exit zoom and break off with a barrel roll followed by an Immelman to give you height advantage.

If your plane isn't so well armed, I find the best tactic is to roll 180 degrees and pull down under the enemy's fire.  If you have a maneuverability advantage you can switch to a sideways turn or a Split S, but if you're outmatched then you can continue the dive you've started & escape.  Of course, if you're in a relatively weak plane you shouldn't be caught in that situation to begin with Wink
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:19 pm

any hints on 50mm cannon? or reasons to avoid it? hit tier 8 german last night but still a while off from the U/4 heavy fighter... and yes, i only want this plane assuming it handles something like Do 217 series but with a 50mm anti-tank cannon capable of firing high velocity anti-armor rounds (which of course will be used to hunt slow planes, bombers and teammates trying to shoot off my tail without provocation).

edit - interesting to note that the Me410 U4's 50mm cannon is a modified version of the panzer III tank's main weapon; in a sense, you're flying a tank to hunt bombers.
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:53 pm

I haven't flown a 50mm cannon-equipped plane yet myself, so I can only tell you want I've seen posted on the forums & youtube. I know in the past that it was a devastating weapon that smashed aircraft to splinters in one hit, but there's been lots of recent comments about it being heavily nerfed such that its worse than a 37mm cannon.

I don't know the truth of it, you'll have to find out I guess Smile

Btw if you think that's a big weapon on a plane, consider the Ju-88 P-5 and P-6, which had 88mm flak guns ... https://2img.net/h/i173.photobucket.com/albums/w55/xbgt3514speed/Stash/ju88p-6.jpg
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm

is that... a turreted 88mm cannon? lol... 88mm flak on a plane; the plane would need some weight behind it or the recoil would cause some notable damage...

re nerf, will check forums when i have time (though probably wont) but i would guess its the high expectations of effectiveness scaling with caliber... haven't had a go at the 30 or 37mm cannon but ive seen it fired, which is to say 120 RPM at first glance and up to 180 RPM at best. that with a 3 round burst limit on 50mm, you really do need to snipe with it, and balistic sniping has quite the learning curve, let alone while flying at 500 kph trying to hit targets (in all probability) more maneuverable than you...
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Heh, if you can hit twitchy targets in MB with a Kingfisher or Stingray ... Smile
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nostromo Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:22 pm

So at Longs request I attempted the Jap's and have found them to be quite appealing. I will continue to play.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Ray Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:55 am

Oh I chose Japan so does that mean I can't play US?
-A3rial
Death Ray
Death Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 am

Not at all, you can develop all the nations simultaneously if you want.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next