Moon Breakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter

+2
longshot
Recorde
6 posters

Go down

Star Wars The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter Empty Star Wars The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter

Post by Recorde Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:09 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBB2bQ_HWvY

Yes, an otherwise pretty standard MMORPG is adding PVP space combat.  I've actually logged a significant number of hours in SWTOR over the past couple years and I will likely be returning to the game to at least check this out.

Recorde

Back to top Go down

Star Wars The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter Empty Re: Star Wars The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter

Post by longshot Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi Recorde, thanks for posting that. Looks like fun, I might give it a try Smile
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Star Wars The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter Empty Re: Star Wars The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter

Post by BitesBack Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Nice reminds me of the PvP war zones in Black Prophecy.I think am going to try this too.Good post Recorde thanks
BitesBack
BitesBack

http://thedogsofwar.shivtr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:17 pm

To be honest it looks quite similar to MB in many ways.  Though its obviously not identical, its much closer to MB's agile space dogfighting than (for example) Star Conflict.  From what I've seen & read so far, here are some key points:-

The Bad:-

1. It has no drifting, no partial inertia.  What a shame.
  2. Its HUD is a bit busy, plus it has a lead indicator showing you where to shoot (WHY!!!?!)
  3. It doesn't seem to have any limit on ammo or overheating, you can pew-pew to your heart's content
  4. Download size.  Already SWTOR is 25 GIGABYTES without the starfighter expansion.  Ouch.
  5. So far only two maps with one battle mode (Domination), though obviously that can change.
  6. Its EA. Although SWTOR does not require the installation of their "Origin" rootkit spyware, I find it hard to trust a company once they've descended to that level of evil.

The Good:-

• A rich variety of ships with more under development
  • Tech tree with branching paths to upgrade the ship's capabilities
  • Fancy keystrokes for maneuvers like a sudden 180 degree turn.  Not sure I really like this, I'd prefer to be able to use speed, drift and turning controls to pull off moves rather than cheat keys
  • A wide array of weapon types & abilities
  • Separate shield & hull
  • Keystrokes to control pitch, yaw and roll - its not mouse-only.

Other Observations:

• Its boost is a lot stronger than MB's
  • Is there any throttle control at all?  Looks like its just "normal" or "afterburner", though that could just have been the pilot in the vid.
  • You don't have to play other parts of SWTOR, you can just "starfight" from the get-go.
  • If you're a subscriber ($30 USD, ouch!) you get access on Dec 3
  • If you've bought something from their cash store, access on Jan 14
  • If you're a freeloader, you have to wait till Feb 4.
  • If you prove to be an exceptionally skilled starfighter, you'll be recruited by an alien talent scout & then get to pilot a ship for real defending the galaxy from a crazed invader.

All in all it definitely looks worth checking out, when the time comes.  I wish Strike Vector would hurry up as well Smile

Last edited by longshot on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by BitesBack Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm

longshot wrote:If you prove to be an exceptionally skilled starfighter, you'll be recruited by an alien talent scout & then get to pilot a ship for real defending the galaxy from a crazed invader.

BitesBack
BitesBack

http://thedogsofwar.shivtr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightwing Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:16 am

Just my thoughts, Bite!
Nightwing
Nightwing

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2743055/

Back to top Go down

Post by Recorde Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:48 am

longshot wrote:
So far only two maps with one battle mode (Domination), though obviously that can change.
This is one of the things that has me just a bit apprehensive - SWTOR isn't known for quick and rapid content updates.  And if this particular content doesn't attract a fair number of people then they could potentially put it on the side-burner and never touch it again.  But I will still be giving it a shot.

Recorde

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I'd say it'd attract a lot more new players, at least to check it out, if it wasn't part of SWTOR. That download size ...
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:34 am

longshot wrote:...

The Bad:-

• It doesn't seem to have any limit on ammo or overheating, you can pew-pew to your heart's content

Seems I was wrong on this one. From what I've read on various review articles, a limited use + cooldown is enforced with both shooting and boost, similar to MB.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:34 am

7 days to go until Preferred access ... looks like a few other DMH folk will try it out as well.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shade Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:02 am

I will try this... On the 4th of February. Very Happy
Shade
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:03 am

Well, the gameplay's interesting, could even be fun. Its no moonbreakers, though it could be if they'd implemented partial inertia but sadly they haven't.

Unfortunately for me, and anyone else with a high ping, everything is server-side. This means you see the universe as it was half a second ago, there's half a second delay between telling your ship to do something and it responding ... which basically makes it impossible to play. Ah well.
longshot
longshot

Back to top Go down

Post by the-anger Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:31 pm

longshot wrote:Well, the gameplay's interesting, could even be fun.  Its no moonbreakers, though it could be if they'd implemented partial inertia but sadly they haven't.

Unfortunately for me, and anyone else with a high ping, everything is server-side.  This means you see the universe as it was half a second ago, there's half a second delay between telling your ship to do something and it responding ... which basically makes it impossible to play.  Ah well.

from your earlier description, the network model is MMO - you are playing with a thin client that is basically a camera on what happens on the server and all your 'commands' (turn ship, shoot) are delayed. i have to stress calling it an MMO model because only in an MMO setting is this response / action delay acceptable (and i use the term loosely here).

only EA could deliver such crap under such a promising label and graphics... but who knows, lets see how public feedback fares when it goes F2P...
the-anger
the-anger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down